Sign in to follow this  
shocobenn

C++ Server / Browser Javascript Client / C++ client app

shocobenn    273

Hello !

I would like to create an application which allow people to interact even if they are on a browser or a c++ application. So i was wondering if choosing a library which do websocket (like Poco) is all what is neededor have I to prefer to communicate with a socket.io server with my c++ app.

hplus0603    11347

You can interact even with a plain HTTP request, by using polling or long polling ("comet") from the web browser. Web sockets would be able to improve the efficiency of the solution where supported, but are not necessary.

There are a variety of system architectures that would make sense for the use case you describe. For example, you could have a single server that listens to both HTTP requests and plain socket requests. Or you could have a gateway architecture where you have different services listening to different ports, and those services in turn talk to the game server.

shocobenn    273

You can interact even with a plain HTTP request, by using polling or long polling ("comet") from the web browser. Web sockets would be able to improve the efficiency of the solution where supported, but are not necessary.

There are a variety of system architectures that would make sense for the use case you describe. For example, you could have a single server that listens to both HTTP requests and plain socket requests. Or you could have a gateway architecture where you have different services listening to different ports, and those services in turn talk to the game server.

For this solution Is it more easy to do it by making a server from scratch or use a lib (if you know free ones which are usefull for it)?