Is it possible to make a comercial gameboy advanced game?

Started by
22 comments, last by locutus 20 years, 1 month ago
I just downloaded the devlopment kit for the gameboy advanced. I can see that I would be able to easily make the greatest shooting game ever for it (better then radient silvergun, etc.). The problem is, how would I go about releaseing it? And would it even have a chance? Gameboy Advanced games either seem to be all ports of other systems, or brand name things (like a Simpsons game, a Micro Machines game, etc.) The game quality of the popular games is appalling, and their sucsess seems basically due to marketing. What can be done?
Advertisement
Looks like you want the Console and PDA Development Forum.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Maybe you should develop a 3D version of it for the PC first, and then make it for the gameboy advanced?

Like you said... the gameboy advanced games seem to be coming from rather popular games.

Maybe you should base your game on an existing Nintendo 64 game or one that will be coming out for Game Cube?

Just a thought. I don''t know much about console development.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you..."~Friedrich Nietzsche
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
If I''m not mistaken, I do believe you need to have a license from Nintendo to make games for the GBA. So best to think of it this way: if your not a proffesional, then you wont be making commercial console games.

If you can read this, All your base are belong to us!
Yeah, Ive read that you need to have a license to sell games, which Nintendo will not give out anymore. Unless you want to go the Atari/Tengen route and challenge that license and bootleg games. hehe
You have 0% chance of releasing a game without Nintendo''s license. For a start, each and every game developed has to go through their quality control team before it is released.

The dev kit you''ve downloaded will allow you to make full games, but if it''s Nintendo''s sdk, then I believe that''s illegal. Plus, you won''t have the professional development hardware (although the linkers/carts you can buy are almost as good and are excellent for development).

Your best bet is to forget the GBA if you want a commercial game, because Nintendo have stopped giving out licenses to that and the GC due to sheer demand. I would personally go for a PC game and at the same time, develop a pc game that runs in the same res and colours as the GBA, that way if it is good and Nintendo start allowing licenses again, you''ll have a game that just needs porting.

Marc Lambert

marc@darkhex.com

Marc. Help Wanted template | Game development isn't easy! | Indie interviews
Bloodlust is back! -Leave your morals and political correctness at the door.

get it running on a pda, would show that it is worth for gba, too.. and for pda you can do it commercial even.. no big problems..
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

By the time you''re ready for a license with the tools you have, Nintendo will probably be giving out more licenses. Once you have a pretty kick-ass game running, I''d take it to a publisher. I doubt you could go through Nintendo alone. Now, in all honesty, you alone, without the Nintendo sdk, will probably have a pretty rough time of it. Sound is pretty much undocumented in the underground. GBA is simple when compared to some other platforms, but its not THAT simple. (i''m totally talking out of my ass here, can you tell?) My advice to you is this:
Make your game. Have fun. Who knows, you may get hired by a more established company if they''re impressed with your work, as GBA programming is in demand right now.
where did you get a GBA sdk anyway. I have been looking all over for one
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
There's no SDK as such but rather a compiler that allows you to compile ASM/C/C++ code to run on ARM/THUMB proccessor (the proccessor the GBA uses). Go to this site for more info on GBA development and a list of useful tools and sites: GBA Dev

You'll need a decent emulator so that you can run your code on your PC. Visual Boy Advance is very good, do a search on Google.

If you want to run your code on an actual GBA you'll need to get a Flash Advance Linker (try Lik Sang).

Edited by - Kaijin on October 27, 2001 7:05:56 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement