How can I make a 2d pong game. SFML

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey guys, I am ultimately trying to make a 3d game in OpenGL, but I feel as if i need to practice and get skills. Sorry if posting in wrong section, I'm new.

~Programming since 2011~

Lead Manager of Hipsack Studios, C.E.O

Help needed. PM me for information

Coding in C++, SFML, and SFL. Learning OpenGL

Advertisement

I believe there's an article here describing how to make Pong.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Serapth just posted this earlier and it is a great tutorial series on how to do it in C++ and SFML: Here

SFML has pretty good bindings for OpenGL so you can kind of work your way towards that (since you mentioned you wanted to work with OpenGL is 3d).

Fly Safe 7o

Serapth just posted this earlier and it is a great tutorial series on how to do it in C++ and SFML: Here

SFML has pretty good bindings for OpenGL so you can kind of work your way towards that (since you mentioned you wanted to work with OpenGL is 3d).

When I first started making Pong, I looked at this and then started building my own. Overall, it was more rewardig because I wasn't just Copying and Pasting Serapths code. I was actually learning how to use the library. That and I believe his code is really over-engineered for Pong.

Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

Thanks guys, the site is really helpful by the way.

~Programming since 2011~

Lead Manager of Hipsack Studios, C.E.O

Help needed. PM me for information

Coding in C++, SFML, and SFL. Learning OpenGL

When I first started making Pong, I looked at this and then started building my own. Overall, it was more rewardig because I wasn't just Copying and Pasting Serapths code. I was actually learning how to use the library. That and I believe his code is really over-engineered for Pong.

Cheers smile.png!

I just wanted to wanted to comment on this quickly:

First of all, it's absolutely a good idea to try to figure things out for yourself and then seek help if you have trouble -- it can sometimes be a more rewarding experience, and you'll often learn more along the way than you may have just copying along with a tutorial.

Serapth's tutorial is absolutely over-engineered for Pong, but that's kind of the point: it's not really a tutorial about making a Pong, it's a tutorial about C++ and OOP that happens to use the creation of Pong to illustrate those topics. Even if you create your own Pong game independently, there's very likely some value in following through Serapth's tutorial as well. smile.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement