Creating a game - what skills would I need to recruit?

Started by
15 comments, last by superman3275 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi,

I am looking to have a game developed and am willing to pay for services, however I'd appreciate some advice on what skill-sets I'd be looking to hire.

Let presume I want to create a:

- Generic 2D side-scrolling shooter in Unity 3D

- Neon style graphics (like http://bit.ly/12degHs )

- Android/iOS

What kind of skills would I need to look for?

Obviously I'd need a Unity programmer but would this art style (Neon) require a 2D artist or would it be a model? Would I need an animator or could this be done via code?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

It looks like 2D art, possibly vector.

If you use 2D artwork most 2D artists will be able to do animation as well.

If you don't have any experience i'd recommend paying an established studio to make your game for you rather than trying to recruit a team yourself.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Thanks for the reply Simon smile.png

I don't have any experience, but in my head I'd like to manage this from start to finish to gain that experience - I'm not sure what I'd gain from hiring a studio to do the work. I have many game ideas that I'd like to develop, but I want to start with something very simple just for the learning curve.

I'm guessing that this would be vector, but I'm not 100% sure - for example the spaceship I have in mind would have a neon trail behind it and I don't think this could be done via artwork?

Would the first stage be to recruit a developer and for them to tell me what they require?

Edit: I've already had a proof of concept developed, but the developer lost interest after a week unsure.png

Thanks for the reply Simon smile.png

I don't have any experience, but in my head I'd like to manage this from start to finish to gain that experience - I'm not sure what I'd gain from hiring a studio to do the work. I have many game ideas that I'd like to develop, but I want to start with something very simple just for the learning curve.

I'm guessing that this would be vector, but I'm not 100% sure - for example the spaceship I have in mind would have a neon trail behind it and I don't think this could be done via artwork?

Would the first stage be to recruit a developer and for them to tell me what they require?

Edit: I've already had a proof of concept developed, but the developer lost interest after a week unsure.png

Trails are normally done using particles (The programmer you get should be able to sort that out).

If the developers you recruit lose interest quickly you're not paying them enough. This is your dream, not theirs, you have to pay them accordingly, if you don't pay them you have to give them something else of value. (Contribute with skills they don't have, give them creative input (make it their game as well as yours), etc), most developers who are capable of making a game have more ideas than they have time to implement, it is quite natural for them to lose interest in ideas that aren't their own.

hi

First you'll need a C# Unity programmer (NOT JAVASCRIPT) and also he needs to know how to solve the Math problems :P

Second you can hire an Artist and a Game Designer or you hire one that can do both (hitting 2 birds with one stone).

Third you can also Hire a company like what

SimonForsman

say's but be warned that it can be a very expensive deal

My tip is hire young people.20-25 years old :D

i hope i've informed you enough :D

HyperV

If the developers you recruit lose interest quickly you're not paying them enough.

I think that's a great quote!

I'll work on the assumption then that I need to hire a developer first. Would you recommend looking on a site like oDesk or a gaming forum (such as this one or the Unity forums) and recruit there?

Thanks

Hi HyperV, thanks for your input.

When you say game designer, do you mean an artist who oversees the artistic direction of the entire game and provides the graphics or someone who makes design/feature decisions?

If the developers you recruit lose interest quickly you're not paying them enough.

I think that's a great quote!

I'll work on the assumption then that I need to hire a developer first. Would you recommend looking on a site like oDesk or a gaming forum (such as this one or the Unity forums) and recruit there?

Thanks

If you're serious about it, contact a lawyer, form a company, get an office and get proper employees, you can recruit fresh graduates from your local university, the good ones will allready have a few games to show off.

If you plan on recruiting cheap labor online without formal contracts you're in for a rough ride, those teams only tend to work out if the person leading it is doing the majority of the work, you cannot expect long term commitment without a contract and a solid salary from anyone but yourself

I am serious about having a game developed and have produced (via outsourcing) software products that have sold well, however my passion/dream is games.

That said, I don't have the kind of money to get an office or hire full-time employees.

Hi HyperV, thanks for your input.

When you say game designer, do you mean an artist who oversees the artistic direction of the entire game and provides the graphics or someone who makes design/feature decisions?

the one who's doing the job :D (designing the game from concept to level design ect...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement