Want to build a game

Started by
3 comments, last by ZerohBeat 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello. I would really like to build a game like knightfight.co.uk or bitefight.co.uk.

I am pretty new to this, I know some HTML, CSS, PHP and MySql. How hard would it be to build a game like that, looking to hear some comments.

Advertisement

That depends on your experience. I'm not registering to find out about these games, but if it's what i think it is; a *real*-time game with simple graphics,
controlled with a simple gui, it's certainly doable by one person. But again, it very much depends on your experience.

Have you developed websites or web apps before? What kind? You may need to trigger an event every now and then, to sort of "tick" the mechanics and apply some values across the game. Have you done something as such yet?

You could also make it turn based, that would be easier. But you'd have to work out a way for the game to progress.

(If you're going for real time, you may need a good server, depending on the amount of information to pass through. But the DOM poses a great advantage in fast cross-browser graphics, -so there's something to consider, just in case. ;) )

Well, it's just text and a GUI. I'm sure its possible, just remember to build for networking from the ground up.

Cheers :)!

I'm a game programmer and computer science ninja !

Here's my 2D RPG-Ish Platformer Programmed in Python + Pygame, with a Custom Level Editor and Rendering System!

Here's my Custom IDE / Debugger Programmed in Pure Python and Designed from the Ground Up for Programming Education!

Want to ask about Python, Flask, wxPython, Pygame, C++, HTML5, CSS3, Javascript, jQuery, C++, Vimscript, SFML 1.6 / 2.0, or anything else? Recruiting for a game development team and need a passionate programmer? Just want to talk about programming? Email me here:

hobohm.business@gmail.com

or Personal-Message me on here !

That depends on your experience. I'm not registering to find out about these games, but if it's what i think it is; a *real*-time game with simple graphics,
controlled with a simple gui, it's certainly doable by one person. But again, it very much depends on your experience.

Have you developed websites or web apps before? What kind? You may need to trigger an event every now and then, to sort of "tick" the mechanics and apply some values across the game. Have you done something as such yet?

You could also make it turn based, that would be easier. But you'd have to work out a way for the game to progress.

(If you're going for real time, you may need a good server, depending on the amount of information to pass through. But the DOM poses a great advantage in fast cross-browser graphics, -so there's something to consider, just in case. ;) )

Hello there.

Well let me tell you a little about game...after you register you get a knight and you can train it like strength, stamina, parry and few other skills. You can fight other players, but you dont see a fight it just says how much you hit how much enemy hit and who won. Then you also do missions, basically you just select which mission you want to do and then the counter counts from 10 minutes to 0, and once its over you are rewarded with xp, gold, etc...its basically a game like that, would you like to know anything else that would make you understand how it works more?

(I just saw a video on youtube how it plays).

Given that in the OP it says that you have some experiance with web applications, this type of game shouldnt be too hard. Definetly doable by one person.

I guess, a very basic prototype:

- there will be a database which will store player information. (knowledge in MySQL/php)

- some kind of timer system, to know when a mission has ended. ( probably done in javascript and/or php)

- able to give/store rewards to the player. (php/MySQL)

- able to store game character information (MySQL)

- GUI ( HTML/CSS)

Once you figure out how these things work, think hard about the game design. That should help you figure out the database design. In my opinion that will be the most crucial thing in a game like this.

How complex/complete of a game you woul like to make will ulimately decide if its actually doable or not. Also you if you want to accept payments, have 1000s of people. Things can get very expensive to run too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement