VS 2012 Graphics Debugger. Connect to running app.

Started by
3 comments, last by Volgogradetzzz 10 years, 10 months ago

Hello. I know how to run debugger from VS. But I can't figure out how to connect to other app - not created in Visual Studio. For example, in PIX we can choose app to run and start debugging. Is it possible with VS?

Advertisement

Debug > Attach to process...

Debug -> Attach to process? But if you don't have pdb files of that app/lib, you only would have access to decompiled code at most.

Its not possible to attach the Graphics Diagnostics Tools in VS2012 to an app that's already running. However, you might be able to run Graphics Diagnostics against an executable using the directions found here: Walkthrough: Capturing Graphics Information Manually, in the procedure To enable the capture of graphics information without loading a project or solution. Of course, there will be limitations on what works since you probably don't have the PDBs, Source Code, or shader assets, but the basic inspection of draw calls, framebuffer, device state and Direct3D objects and resources should work. You just need to know where the application's .EXE is located.

Note that there is a programmatic API that the developer might have employed in order to prevent tools Like Graphics Diagnostics from hooking the application. If they have, you're out of luck, but it seems uncommon that developers have done so.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Thank you. It's almost works. As Ravyne have said there should be pdb for full debugging. Without it I can't step through code and look at locals. But in PIX it worked.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement