Good indie games?

Started by
14 comments, last by tmccolgan88 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi. So I'm looking for indie games to play. Do you have any recommendations? I especially like puzzle platformers, side scrollers. Or something like that.

My favorite indie games:

Braid,

Minecraft,

Limbo,

Rico - A tale of two brothers

Thomas was alone,

So any games along those lines. Because I'm really getting sick of those repetitive AAA games. I mean REALLY sick.

Is it just me, or there are almost no good modern AAA games? Not counting Portal 1 & 2, and Mirrors Edge, because they are awesome.

But seriously, Battlefield 3 campaign feels just like any Modern Warfare or Black ops games. You shoot something, there are few movie-like scenes but nothing more than that.

Ok i'm not here to rant.

So do you guys have any suggestions? I am talking about PC indine games. Because I don't own any console. Also android games would be good, but I have very slow phone (600MHZ, OC'd to 806MHZ, 320x240 screen), so I don't think there are good games for MY phone.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”? Nigel Marsh
Advertisement

Have you tried Super Meat Boy or Fez?

Have you tried Super Meat Boy or Fez?

Oh I should download Super Meat Boy. I tried to download Fez, but it didn't work for some reason.

Thanks.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”? Nigel Marsh

Actually, Shadowgrounds and Trine was by the same company, so you might be able to get them bundled together.

I'm not sure if you'd count it indie, but Dungeon Defenders provided some of the most fun (splitscreen coop, but also online play, and also solo play) for any game I've played, and I probably put in over 75 hours on it. Well worth the money, whether you want to play single-player or coop.

• Spy Party is pretty fun, but rather intense.
  • Saira was enjoyable while it lasted.
  • I also like to play Galcon Fusion from time to time. Everyday Shooter also.
  • For a single cooperative playthrough, the free game At a Distance was fun. Only lasted 45 minutes, can only be played once, and must be played cooperative on two separate machines (laptops are fine) in the same room.

Most of these games I picked up on sale. I suggest adding them to your Steam wishlist, and get a few during the next major Steam sale.

I've heard really high praise, from people who's opinions I respect, for Bastion. It's on my 'TODO list' of games to play.

Also on my TODO list is: Antichamber, The Witness (not yet released - from the Braid developer), Proteus, and Dear Esther.

I'm heavily into 'experimental' design games, and cooperative games, so my tastes might differ from yours. If I had to suggest any one single-player game, I'd say VVVVVV. If I had to suggest any cooperative game, I'd say Shadowgrounds. But then I'd also recommend Dungeon Defenders as a follow up to either of those suggestions, whether I'm suggesting single-player or cooperative gaming.

These are all indie or indie-ish games.

• Atom Zombie Smasher
  • Frozen Synapse
  • VVVVVV (one of the best indie games I've played)
  • Shadowgrounds (for same-screen cooperative play)
  • Shadowgrounds: Survivor (for same-screen cooperative play - but the first was better)
  • Trine (same screen cooperative play, for up to three people)
  • Battle for Wesnoth (opensource TBS)

Great list. Thanks! I will try to check out all of them.

I enjoyed Rochard. I would describe it as a puzzle platformer.

I recommend checking out Cave Story, developed by Daisuke Amaya. It is a free download with an English patch available.

Mark of the ninja (http://www.markoftheninja.com/) is excellent

In addition to what's been mentioned, Terraria and Monaco are also favorites of mine.

The Behemoth's games Alien Hominid and Castle Crashers were great fun, and their new game BattleBlock Theater looks fun but I haven't played it yet.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement