Sign in to follow this  

Game attorneys

This topic is 377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This topic is 377 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Enrique Navarro
      We want, Designers, Software Developers, Artists, Narrators etc... For a video game project. Contact and go to see what we can do. Thanks
    • By mub
      I've read that it's a bad idea to use brand names in a game.
      My game character says "I like the movie Idiocrazy."
      Is this already illegal? or sue-able?

• By nr_clark
      Hi all,
      I'm a developer part of a small team designing a sandbox MMO. It's just a collaborative team (all in the US), meaning that all members just contribute their free time to advance the project. 
      Well, a programmer booted from another (very similar) MMO sandbox project wanted to help out with our own, even after knowing our project was collaborative (I'll call him Bob). According to our current programmer (I'll call him John), Bob has very advanced skills in multiple syntax, and Bob's supposedly-self-made script packages & suggested tweaks to John's existing code have really helped John advance the sandbox mechanics.
      From what the team understands, Bob was rumored to steal code from the other project, after calling the project's other programmer out for being unskilled, and in turn that programmer (who was favorited by the project manager) turned the team against him in the most political fashion. 
      Even though the team was nervous on recruiting Bob, Bob was very pushy about obtaining a programmer role. For now, we've added Bob to the Unity collab to access the project. The project has a git repository setup which keeps all added code intact and secure. 
      I'm just a 3D modeler/sound designer, so while I cannot elaborate on the project's coding specifics, I do know potential implications something like this could cause. Bob's existing script packages could be copyrighted, from what I understand. Also, I felt suspicious when Bob wanted to jump into our project so quickly. If it makes any difference in the legal sense, Bob lives in the UK. What would you recommend would be the best approach to this situation?
      TIA.
    • By hyyou
      Questions :-
      To sell a C++ game library/framework/engine, does it usually have to be open-sourced?  For a C++ template class (real template), it is quite hard not to be open-sourced, correct? If it is open-sourced, how to protect the copyright? How to enforce people to just use it, but not copy? ... I think it is practically very hard, because people can see the source code, and "rewrite" it. Does a shop like Unity's asset store make thing safer?  If so, how? Arrogant assumption :-
      The game library/framework/engine is high-quality, well-documented, and it would be marvellously sell well. Besides some free libraries like Bullet and Ogre, it is developed all by myself. The library/framework/engine is not bound to any legal obligation (e.g. the most restriction is MIT). I have these questions after reading a news  :-
      Muhagames develop a game named Thea Awakening (C#). The company use its own Honey Hex Framework (C#) as a library to develop the game. The company sell Honey Hex Framework via Unity's asset store to boost its financial position. There are also others old examples e.g. Unity itself or Unreal, which is now open-source ... How do they protect it?
      Actually, I don't plan to sell any library. I am just curious.
    • By hpdvs2
      I have several Unity Assets I'm planning to publish through my current employer to the Unity Asset Store.  But I'm worried about legal protection.  I'm not really sure how to protect myself or my company from potential law suits.  Not that I'm expecting them.  
      It seems like I need to hire a lawyer to draft a EULA, but I'm wondering if there is some standard EULA that basically says use at your own risk.  Or if there is an article that talks clearly to this topic.
       - Thanks.
      The products will be 100% self developed code, and self developed models, no fan art  With Source Code included
  • Popular Now