• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Maroen

Beginning 3d programming

This topic is 1939 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,

Some months ago I started programming 2d games in C++ using SFML. I made some games like Pong and a small RPG. I feel like I know 2d games quite well now, and I'm considering starting to make 3d games. But am I ready yet, and where should I start? I don't want to use a pre-made engine like untity or UDK, but rather make my own engine possibly or use an existing library. But I need your advise on where to  start.

Thanks for any serious answers!

~Maroen

Edited by Maroen

Advertisement
Hi,
I'd start with the following steps:

- make sure you're knowledged on classes/OOP in c++
- learn an api like opengl or direct3d, personally I use d3d (11 or 9)
But first (or parallel) learn or freshen up math (vectors, matrices, planes etc), without getting the hang of this you might be able to make a DIY engine, but with struggles and lots of copy pasting

On both the math and d3d I can advice the books of author Frank Luna, this covers both the math basics and d3d (including the basics of shaders). There's a d3d9 and 11 version available.
Make sure you buy the book the legal way, so we can have a d3d12 version later on :)

I would recommend using a nice 3D wrapper library which allows for great performance and flexibility first, and you can learn about low-level OpenGL / DirectX later on.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!