Unity examples/tutorials for a C++ programmer?

Started by
13 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 9 months ago

I'm a C++ programmer and I wanted to try Unity. I have watched the standard Unity tutorials (from their main page).

Do you know any good "source codes" to download? I find these very hard to find... I just wanted to download a few projects and check how it's done (theory can get you so far, checking how others did is a better way to learn to me). Especially something that is not 3D (I'm doing mostly 2D/GUI/text based strategies).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

Why not just download Unity and try it out ? , it comes with an example game and if you got some programming experience allready you can just jump in head first. (its not that difficult)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Why not just download Unity and try it out ? , it comes with an example game and if you got some programming experience allready you can just jump in head first. (its not that difficult)

Yes I did it. It's just that is seems they have just this one/very few examples only. And none of them are 2D stuff.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Yes I did it. It's just that is seems they have just this one/very few examples only. And none of them are 2D stuff.

iirc, Unity doesn't have a dedicated 2D Library, (or didn't last time i checked) you have to use the GUI side of it if you wish to use it for 2D.

iirc, Unity doesn't have a dedicated 2D Library, (or didn't last time i checked) you have to use the GUI side of it if you wish to use it for 2D.

You can also set a camera to use orthographic projection + there are some 2D libraries / plugins in the asset store.

Allthough for a 2D game there might be far more suitable engines than Unity out there.

I learned as I go. It might feel a bit strange to work with unity from the start, but once you get used to how things are handled internally, it's pretty easy to do stuff. Eventually you will know what you want to achieve and with a big community like unity has, it only takes a google search like "unity3d how to make object follow the mouse" and you will get plenty of hits that can help you out or refine your search.

As for tutorials, I found that the videos on burgzergarcade were ok to start with and get a grasp on how things work (check out the hack and slash one)

Unless you are set on using Unity for 2D, if you already know C++, why not just use SDL and/or OpenGL for your 2D game?

If you want it to work on webpages (and without a plugin), have a look at using the Emscripten compiler. One of my personal projects is to re-implement the Unity API using C++ and the above technologies. So far I have found them to be very capable.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but considering what I've read into Unity Community forums, Unity uses C# instead of C++. Hopefully, there'll be a way to combine Unity with C++ but this is not the official way of doing things. Again, maybe I'm wrong. I've never make use of Unity, so ...

Let me quote some posts that might be helpful for you:

You don't really use C++ in Unity. You can in certain specialized cases, such as plugins, but not for scripting. And definitely not for Flash.

Short answer is no, you can't use C++ with Unity. In Unity, you can code in C#, UnityScript or Boo. You then deploy the same code to all the platforms supported by Unity. It does the conversion for you.

That said, I think that's the reason why you don't find many resources available for C++ in Unity.

I've been using Unity with C# for about half a year and now moving back to C++. I can give u source code for this project if you want:

Mainly it's just trail and error. To make it 2D you just change in camera properties to Ortho.

Mainly unity is good because it supports wide range of platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux... it is good engine to know since it is quite popular among small companies. But C++/SDL/OpenGL is much much more important to know :)

I've been using Unity with C# for about half a year and now moving back to C++. I can give u source code for this project if you want:

Mainly it's just trail and error. To make it 2D you just change in camera properties to Ortho.

Mainly unity is good because it supports wide range of platforms like Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux... it is good engine to know since it is quite popular among small companies. But C++/SDL/OpenGL is much much more important to know smile.png

Indeed, Unity is great for mobile games since you don't really have to worry that much(most of the time it just works) about the whole cross platform thing and on the Android side they do tons of work to get things working on the extremely wide range of devices out there (Something that can be a major headache to do yourself). On the PC the big advantage really is the webplayer (There are plenty of other engines and also lower level frameworks that offer mac,win,linux support)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement