Super Heli Land

Started by
0 comments, last by Darkhog 10 years, 9 months ago

GotgJFJ.png

Do you remember flying/underwater (submarine) shmup levels of Super Mario Land? Do you miss them?
[media]http:

[/media]
Well, me too!

That's why I've decided to make Super Heli Land. It is being written using Allegro.pas, which is Pascal binding of popular Allegro programming library.

Currently undergoing heavy development will feature:
- Highscores (with five slots available)
- Infinite gameplay (that's why it has Heli in its name - this derives from all infinite helicopter games you can find on the web)
- Setting custom seed for world generation (for use e.g. in competitions in order to take world generation out of equation and retain only pure skill)
- Ability to reskin game (using Allegro data files - planned for 1.1, initial release won't have this option)
- - Three difficulty modes: Baby Mario (Super easy, with three hitpoints - fireflower descends to shroom which descends to small mario) Marine Pop (Easy, 5 lives instead of usual 3) and Sky Pop (Hard) - each of it features AI mechanics of appropriate SML level except Baby Mario as Baby Mario doesn't star in SML. Planned for 1.1

Most of backend engine stuff is done, only things left are sound/music engine, then I will be able to implement fun stuff, game logic and AI that is.

If I won't pop onto any unexpected obstacle, I may be able to do actual build by the end of next week, maybe in a month.

You can follow current progress in following thread (more often updated than here, here I'll only push updates if something major happens, like release of game or fixing particularly nasty bug): http://www.pascalgamedevelopment.com/showthread.php?21334-Super-Heli-Land and on my online To Do list.

//edit: Following image was taken in-engine:
N3ue4rh.png
It has example of chunk generated by engine.
At top-left there is shown how game "sees" chunk.
Blue pixels represent destructible blocks (not shown here as they need to be generated as separate sprites, chunk consist of two big pixel-perfectly collided sprites - one that won't harm player unless it will squish him and other for spikes which harms player).
Red pixels represent spikes.
Brown pixels represent ground and green ones represents indestructible blocks that aren't ground. I may add later on random lines of indestructible blocks with spikes on top of it to make things more interesting.

That number thing on top has no meaning - it is just test of animated sprites (spoiler: they do work).

Advertisement

I know what I've said, but decided to push updates here slightly more frequently. Still, won't be immediate like on PGD, but would push updates every two days or so.

Things I've done since announcement:

- Put base class for state machine

- Started working on main menu code

When I'm done with coding, I'll be finally able to post actual screenshot of main menu.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement