Intro to programming

Started by
9 comments, last by Son_David 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey everyone. I'm new to this site and I'm interested in making video games for consoles(PC,SONY,Microsoft), apple, and android. My only problem what programming language is the best way to start out with. As for softwares, I have Unity, Flash professional cs6, and blender. I also learning sprites but is there such a thing as 3d sprites.

Additonal Question:

Before I even start making a video game, which option is better 2d or 3d games?

(Notice: If my grammar sucks to you, I apologize. sad.png)

Advertisement

My humble opinion:

Try multiple languages and pick the one you think you'll be most comfortable with. Since you have Unity (and probably some experience with it), maybe you could try C# first.

As for other question, since you're new to gamedev it's better to start with 2D games in order to get a hang on gameloop etc. before tackling 3D related problems.

Make the Pong clone. It's usually the first game everyone starts and is easiest to make.

Thanks. I would like some information about the "pong clone". Also, I feel like I want learn more about C++.

Start with 2D games, or even better : text based games.

Learn to program before you make a game. (Take 1 or 2 months to read a general programming book or tutorial).

I would recommend a script language at first.

C++ tutorials tend to be overly complicated.

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

Start with 2D games, or even better : text based games.

Learn to program before you make a game. (Take 1 or 2 months to read a general programming book or tutorial).

I would recommend a script language at first.

C++ tutorials tend to be overly complicated.

Thanks...so no 3d right now, just work with 2d, right? What you mean about script language? I thought C++ is a script language as well as a program. C++ looks easy and understandable to me.

There's a good article here on GameDev that I think will help you out:

Your First Step to Game Development Starts Here

Also, this article talks about what scripting and programming languages are, and how they differ from each other.

[twitter]Casey_Hardman[/twitter]

. C++ looks easy and understandable to me.

blink.png

This must be some new definition of easy and understandable I wasn't previously aware of ;)

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

This must be some new definition of easy and understandable I wasn't previously aware of ;)

If he just looked at some beginning tutorials/references, they can make sense. It's when you get into classes, pointers, and the like that people start getting confused.

I'm new to this site and I'm interested in making video games for consoles(PC,SONY,Microsoft), apple, and android.

I'm not sure which languages to pick for the main consoles, but with PC you can pick just about any language out there and make a game with it. As for Apple, you can look into Objective-C, and potentially C++, however, I think using C++ still means you will need a little bit of Objective-C code. With Android, you can use C++ or Java. There may be alternatives for Android, however, Java is what the SDK is made to work with, and C++ can work with the NDK (SDK: Software Development Kit, NDK: Native Development Kit).

I just got started with LibGDX, a game library for Java. It doesn't support consoles but with a single code base you can export to windows, android, iOS, and HTML5. It is both a 2d and 3d engine, so once you "learn the ropes" of 2d development, the switch to 3d should be fairly simple.

It might also be best to stay with Unity, if one of your main goals is cross platform. In that case, learn C#, which is an excellent language even without Unity.

Stay gold, Pony Boy.

. C++ looks easy and understandable to me.

blink.png

I remember when I was starting programming, my first language of choice was C++. And I didn't understood why people called it hard either, until I learned python.

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don't need to impress people they don't like.”? Nigel Marsh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement