Global illumination techniques

Started by
60 comments, last by FreneticPonE 9 years, 11 months ago

Epic has since moved away from it, they're using pre-baked lightmaps and specular probes now

Do you know why they gave up on it ? Voxel cone tracing seemed very promising to me, even for the incoming "next gen".

I'm sure it was the performance. Per-pixel octree traversals + 3D texture lookups are not fast, even on high-end GPU's.

However I'm quite sure someone will end up shipping a game with something similar, perhaps tuned specifically to the needs of that title. In fact at E3 I noticed that Knack has dynamic reflections and soft shadows, which looked like they might be generated using voxelization.

Advertisement

In fact at E3 I noticed that Knack has dynamic reflections and soft shadows, which looked like they might be generated using voxelization.

If you look at the video you can see that it's screen space reflections because the reflection disappears when the reflected object goes out of screen, pay attention to the glowing lights on the wall on the right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iG98LuaYj_g#t=267s.

IMO, soft shadows are probably done with a common shadow mapping technique.

@jcabeleira, nice to see a guy with an actual working realtme GI implementation around here. Your papers are also very nice.

In fact at E3 I noticed that Knack has dynamic reflections and soft shadows, which looked like they might be generated using voxelization.

If you look at the video you can see that it's screen space reflections because the reflection disappears when the reflected object goes out of screen, pay attention to the glowing lights on the wall on the right: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iG98LuaYj_g#t=267s.

IMO, soft shadows are probably done with a common shadow mapping technique.

Indeed, you can actually see where the reflections stop once the view angle is too oblique. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention at the demo. :P

http://www.geomerics.com/enlighten/

I like the way the shadows in Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us" are unified.

That is, the actors' and environment's shadows merge together like they're supposed to.

Most games just place lightmaps on the environment and then dynamic shadows from actors blend over them - that is, they further darken the lightmaps.

This is unrealistic, since both these shadow representations come from the same light source and should merge together instead of darkening one another.

Based on the "low-resolution" appearance of the environment shadows in this game, I can assert that they're not lightmaps but actual static shadow maps that are rendered in most likely the same pass as the actors' shadows so that they merge together.

There are most likely other lighting contributions involved in the sophisticated visuals for this game, but static shadow maps for the environment are participating.

I like the way the shadows in Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us" are unified.

That is, the actors' and environment's shadows merge together like they're supposed to.

Most games just place lightmaps on the environment and then dynamic shadows from actors blend over them - that is, they further darken the lightmaps.

This is unrealistic, since both these shadow representations come from the same light source and should merge together instead of darkening one another.

Based on the "low-resolution" appearance of the environment shadows in this game, I can assert that they're not lightmaps but actual static shadow maps that are rendered in most likely the same pass as the actors' shadows so that they merge together.

There are most likely other lighting contributions involved in the sophisticated visuals for this game, but static shadow maps for the environment are participating.

I agree that this is the right effect to aim for, but I disagree that most games do it the "wrong" way -- the Unreal Engine 3, for instance, separates the "direct" component of dominant lights from the indirect component for exactly this reason (among others, such as doing different filtering on the sharp edges of direct lights* versus the smoother gradients of the indirect component); this makes it relatively efficient to combine lightmaps with dynamic shadow maps, as shadow maps only block out the direct component and leave the indirect light unchanged (which is of course an approximation itself, but one that generally is acceptable).

*in fact, this may be an alternative explanation for the "low-resolution" appearance of the shadows you're seeing, meaning that it might still be lightmaps rather than shadow maps - it seems weird to recalculate even just the direct light shadows for static lights/geometry every frame for no reason

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

I forgot to mention this. Part of the reason for me thinking the environment uses static shadow maps is that these environment shadows not only blend with actor shadows but they are also projected onto the actors themselves, making it look like everything is part of the "same world", belonging together.

I've taken some snapshots to illustrate (pardon the low resolution).

• Here the actor's shadow is merging with static environment shadows.

hc5.th.png

• Here you can see how the environment shadows are pixelated, and how they're projected onto the actor.

5u8.th.png

• Look at that partially lit seat, centered of the screen. The shadow projected on it is very pixelated, and comes from the environment. When you approach the seat, this shadow suddenly gains a higher resolution.

mo1h.th.png crf.th.png

• In some parts of the levels such as behind large buildings (places where the actors are always covered in shadow) it's easier to notice that not only are there shadow maps involved but also some sort of baked AO term - you can see this below the car and below that ledge on the gray building to the left.

Aditionally, in these cases the actors do cast dynamic shadows (even darkening the environment shadows), but then they're not hard edged like when under then sun.

Instead they're very blurred up to the point of being smooth and they're made almost transparent, looking like a subtle shade.

mbd6.th.png

Hmm, you're right. It looks like they're using cascaded shadow maps for both the static and dynamic geometry, which is interesting. I assume they bake only the indirect lighting and then just add in the direct lighting on the fly. If nothing else, it's probably easier to implement than storing the contribution of direct light onto static geometry.

-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
The time is nigh for some really hardcore pixel shader work, scene voxelization.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement