Linux (UNIX Socket) with Windows (WinSocket)

Started by
8 comments, last by Sinner_Zero 22 years, 5 months ago
I''m just wondering id theyre is any way to have the 2 sockets communicate, or owuld they just do that normally with normal requests........hmm...is that right? I''m using Linux with C++ and saw that the book I''m reading covers UNIX socket so I''m wondering, and ofcourse I got limited experience with Win Socket.
Advertisement
Well, if you connect to a Win32 socket from Unix it should work just fine, as well as the other was around. Maybe I don''t understand your question.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
They interoperate just fine. The important part is the protocol - for the information transferred to be meaningful, both client and server (or both peers) must be using the same network protocol.

Winsock is actually a Windows-specific implementation of BSD sockets, which is the proper name for UNIX sockets (long live Berkeley Systems Division, Inc.! (BSDi))

Trivia: what were the two "major" variants of UNIX in its early days?
Actually, you both perfectly understood and answered my question, thnx.

I''m surprised it worked so well.

As for your trivia....hmmm.......I have no frickin'' clue. I first assumed something like AT&T''s thinger but that wouldnt be one of the first............ by variants I assume you mean distrobutions (if thats what they call them like in linux), then again, linux is a variant of unix (well.....) so.......damnit now me lost is.
Linux isn''t one of them . Linux is a youngin'' at 10 years .

Actually, UNIX was developed at Bell Labs - which is AT&T! (Remember, we call AT&T Ma'' bell; the company used to be AT&T Bell, then the recursive splits through Bell Atlantic to Verizon...)

So, AT&T was the first major variant. The other was BSD - Berkeley Systems Division - at the University of California at Berkeley. The two used to compete head-to-head in terms of features and functionality (though the code was shared, so they adopted each other''s innovations - such as sockets).
quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Winsock is actually a Windows-specific implementation of BSD sockets, which is the proper name for UNIX sockets (long live Berkeley Systems Division, Inc.! (BSDi))

Can BSD sockets be used with Windows without using Winsock?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Can BSD sockets be used with Windows without using Winsock?

quote:From MSDN:

Deviation from Berkeley Sockets

There are a few limited instances where Windows Sockets has had to divert from strict adherence to the Berkeley conventions, usually because of difficulties of implementation in a Windows environment.

It goes on to catalogue all the differences between Windows Sockets and BSD sockets. You can find it at:
MSDN Library->Platform SDK  ->Networking and Distributed Services    ->Windows Sockets Version 2      ->Windows Sockets Version 2 API        ->Overview          ->Windows Sockets Programming Considerations            ->Deviation from Berkely Sockets 
Well, just to make sure, I was in no way saying Linux was one of the first, HECK no.

YAY! I got AT&T right. BSD shouldve been a good guess. And I hope them variations are small.
quote:Original post by Sinner_Zero
Well, just to make sure, I was in no way saying Linux was one of the first, HECK no.

I didn''t think so . You were mentally-writing about distributions and such, so I thought I might as well point that out .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement