In regards to a protagonist's weapon

Started by
4 comments, last by Archbishop 10 years, 9 months ago

Hey gamedev whats happening? I'm currently designing a 2-d metrodvania styled action adventure game and i appear to have hit a snag. I want to give the protagonist a weapon that serves more than one function so i guess this post isn't so much about the story per-say. Its more about what sort of tool i want to give the protagonist. So far i've decided on outfitting the hero with a rifle for long ranged combat, but i'm having trouble deciding what sort of closed ranged weapon to design around.

one idea i ad discussed was perhaps give them hook swords? its not seen too much, and i think it would be refreshing from the age old long sword or katana that's been made so popular recently. what do you think?

any ideas or suggestions?

Advertisement

Some suggestions for you - though I do tend to prefer a weapon that has the option of reaching from short range to just beyond the normal body's reach. Hope these help :)

Chained Hook Swords

Chained_Hook_Swords.jpg

Kusarigama

Kusarigama.jpg

Meteor Hammer

300px-Meteor_hammer.JPG

Deer horn knives

GordonDeerHornKnives.JPG

What is the setting of your game, in regards to time and theme? Is it a futuristic sci-fi or science fantasy game? A gritty, turn of the century WWI-like theme? Or is it set in the 17th-18th century, when muskets were becoming more popular yet blades were still used at close range?

Bayonet. You've already got a rifle after all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Combat_knife_attached_to_gun.jpg

What is the setting of your game, in regards to time and theme? Is it a futuristic sci-fi or science fantasy game? A gritty, turn of the century WWI-like theme? Or is it set in the 17th-18th century, when muskets were becoming more popular yet blades were still used at close range?

To answer your question, the game is set in a fantasy universe, around its own version of the 17th-18th century.

Why not equip the hero with a tool that fits him best? Or have you not decided on such a thing at this stage in the planning process. From my perspective, two characters, one who uses a rapier and a rifle verses one who uses a great-axe and a rapier are two very different characters.

Some questions to think about and ask...

• Which of the two weapons is 'primary'? Or is this something you'll leave open to the player if there's an upgrade system?
  • What are some of the requirements for getting to new areas? Can't get to high places, why not have a grappling hook attachment for the rifle? Need to chop down trees/bramble/bone-walls/whatever to progress? An axe weapon is an obvious choice. The rifle though I think would be capable of a lot of tasks in terms of 'moving' places. What are those specific barriers that block the character's path?
  • Who is the character behind the weapon? Does it mean much to them?
  • Is the weapon plot central? Is this some ancient blade with hundreds of kills to its name, or is it some cheap look-alike the hero brought along for his little journey and fully expects to get newer / better gear? If he gets better equipment, it would make sense for them to use a hammer the whole game but perhaps it's not 'heavy' enough to hit certain switches or break certain walls down.
  • Will they be keeping and using it the whole game? If you implement weapon switching for melee, perhaps tying it to the player as a 'key' to progress might be a bad idea, unless there are only two or three different ones they can equip. (Axe for cutting down X, a hammer for hitting giant switches behind bars, a sickle on a chain for tugging objects / levers from afar?)

Maybe you're just looking for a cool weapon to fit those other things I just mentioned though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement