Story Planning Software

Started by
5 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 9 months ago

It's been years, but I remember downloading a specific program that allowed me to sort out information, research, characters, and plot points. I cannot remember if it was a script writing software or something else plot related. But since I probably won't remember it anytime soon, I was looking to see if any of you guys use a specific software to help organize your thoughts better or have a recommended list of them. Microsoft Word is okay, but it's not very intuitive to the organizing and creative process.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I've yet to find one sadly.

But I've started developing one for my own use with my writing as well as to learn MVC4 and WPF as my c# has grown rusty with lack of use over the last year.

I've started with a basic wiki structure for organizing lore and world building.

The next step in my road map is to add structured data to entries and semantic relationships.

Then I plan on adding scene crafting and and plot arcing tools.

I was just looking for something like this. If you find one please post.

Hey,

there is one called articydraft. Its pretty good, Ubisoft used it for Assasins creen [what ever the latest one was :/], and lots of other top name devs use it (apparently). From what i have seen it is really good, and from a programmer standpoint, it allows the developers to send all the information needed about almost anything in the game.

Depending on the size of your team it can get a bit pricey. However they do, do student deals (if you are a student). Also, there was an indie company that wanted to use it, but they couldnt afford it, the indie got in touch, and they worked out a payment plan - use it now, pay when you release the game (or something simular). They are a bunch of really friendly guys so if price is an issue there is no harm in dropping them an email.

:)

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

Free writing software that you can have a look at to help determine what suits you best.

Celtx - similar to Articydraft

Sigil - for use in Epublishing -- for example publishing an online handbook for your game

Treesheets - Note taking

Storybook - structures and organisation

Wikipad - create your own wiki

Evernote - multi-platform collaborator

ywriter5 - Scheduler

Thank you guys for the suggestions.

I posted this before but the post isn't here (weird). Here goes again.

Two past threads on this question:

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/596071-best-technique-to-write-multiple-choice-dialogue/

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/591263-does-anyone-have-a-relationship-diagram-maker/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement