Python 3.3 on Windows 8?

Started by
4 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 9 months ago

Hello everyone,

Before I get into the subject of this thread, I would like to thank GameDev for its brilliance and formidable catter for knowledge. This has helped wrap my mind towards understanding whether or not game development truly has a sparkle in me --which has been proven mighty true-- and subsequently find my whereabouts on how to get started.

Now as for my current issue...

How do you install Python 3.3 on Windows 8?

The primary issue, as it stands, is not necessairly in installing Python but in making accessing the following:

- Setting the PATH Variable.

- Running Python Prompt on Windows (by inserting 'python3 -V' command into the console and being given no errors)

Due to the inability to go through these stages, I have found myself being returned "Error 1" after attempting at doing the ever-so-desired 'Hello World' program. I am using Komodo Edit for this task though I believe the returning error is tied with having missed the aforementioned procedures rather than executing the program wrongly. Additionally, whenever I attempt at running the code for the Hello World program (namely, "print('Hello World')"), I get an error report saying that there is no command output/input of that nature...thus, I have somewhat concluded that the problem is either consistently within Python's compatability with the software (Windows 8) or undesirably related to my dumbness.

I am not sure this has been posted in the right section. Feel free to move it to a more befitting section of the forum if you feel this has no-place in the Beginners section.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Advertisement

I do not have windows 8 but googling "windows 8 set path" and "windows 8 open terminal" leads me to those tutorials that seems to cover your needs:

http://java.about.com/od/gettingstarted/ss/firstprogram_4.htm

http://java-buddy.blogspot.be/2012/01/set-path-for-jdk-7-on-windows-8.html

After you've completed the above steps, type the following lines in the terminal.

python
print("Hello world")

Paste the results here if doesn't work as expected.

Thanks for the reply, however...

Both the above links illustrate a Java installation whereas what I am struggling with is Python's. I have, however, tried running the above steps with no success. Here is a step-by-step explanation of my procedures:

1. Download Python 3.3.2 x86 MSI Installer (Sources Included) from Python's website.

2. Run the application and let it install on default location (C:\Python33). All additional configurations/content was checked except for the last one "Add python.exe to Path" simply because I have read that it is advisable one adds the PATH Variable manually by adding ";C:Python33" to the end of the path's string.

3. Save the new PATH Variable and open Terminal up.

4. Type in "python3 -V", press Enter.

5. Following Error comes up:

'python3' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

Et voi lá. Allow me to add that I have fiddled with the PATH Variable substantially by trying the following possibilities:

- Allow Python's Installer to automatically add 'python.exe' to the Path.

- Manually add ';C:/Python33' or ';C:\Python33'

Where am I failling? I must definitely be failling somewhere.

Best,

Dan

Python executable is called "python", not "python3". Even for 3.x version.

Open C:\Python33 folder in Explorer and you can see that by yourself.

I just realized...

All tutorials that I have seen (Swaroop CH's inclusive) suggested running the 'python3 -V' command line. Considerant of my child knowledge --or even perhaps, the lack of one-- I felt as though following the instructions to the letter. Turns out it wasn't the best solution, I suppose.

All is good though. I've already started learning Python and will continue doing so.

Thanks for all the support,

Dan

All tutorials that I have seen (Swaroop CH's inclusive) suggested running the 'python3 -V' command line

On Mac/Linux it would indeed generally be called python3, which may be the source of the confusion.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement