Shared triangles between limbs.

Started by
2 comments, last by Tolito 10 years, 9 months ago

Let's say I'm making a 3D snake. Instead of using a Display List for each limb of the snake for animation, I want to make triangles be shared between them. I have attached an example image.

The top two points of the green rectangle are set to a translation and rotation relative to the origin of the red rectangle no matter the rotation of either.

I can provide better diagrams/explanations if necessary.

Are there examples online anywhere? Would vertex arrays be perfect for this? Are Display Lists a possibility at all? Thank you for your time!

Advertisement

The topic you are asking about is skinning. There are lots of resources on the web about it. It can be done on the hardware or on software. A software implementation is probably the easiest way to start, then you have something to benchmark any hardware solution against.

It sounds like your particular example could be covered with rigid skinning, where each vertex is influenced by exactly one bone. However, if you're going to the trouble of implementing skinning you're probably best off going straight for smooth skinning, where each vertex is influenced by N bones with a relative weighting for each bone.

Just google "skinning and animation" (googling 'skinning' on its own tends to get you information about how to skin dead animals) and start reading. It's a big topic and it's not a trivial thing to implement.

Just to avoid repeating myself ;)

http://www.gamedev.net/topic/638027-making-objects-as-bones-and-skinning-them/

Thank you for the useful responses, C0lumbo and RobTheBloke! Now that I know the technical terms and have additional details, I can go about using effective methods that already exist! Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement