how to make snow & rain effect in 2D game

Started by
5 comments, last by wingtiger 22 years, 5 months ago
i want to make a rain and snow wether effect in my 2D game,but i have no idea of it. Does someone help me? Thanks!
Advertisement
particle engines!

there''s tutorials around, that''s what you are looking for.

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
Community Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
Thank you very much!
But i have just wrote a 2D game engine,i do not want any GL or Direct3D function in my engine,i just want to simulate snow & rain weather effect like Diablo II
Then the answer is tiling colorkeyed (possibly blended) bitmaps.

Reach out and torch someone.
-------homepage - email
If you want simple snow/rain, randomly create points(snow) lines(rain) at the top of the screen in 2D and move their position down each frame. Destroy them when they get to the bottom. simple but effective. You can also have different layers, moving at different velocities to simulate z distance in a 2D game.

henry
HenryLecturer in Computer Games TechnologyUniversity of Abertay DundeeScotlandUK
particle engines still work in 2d.. and the maths is easier
I''d recommend this for snow, actually rain looks better with a bunch of random lines because its velocity is too fast to see it "falling"

~~~
Cheers!
Brett Porter
PortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGL
Community Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
~~~Cheers!Brett PorterPortaLib3D : A portable 3D game/demo libary for OpenGLCommunity Service Announcement: Read How to ask questions the smart way before posting!
Thank alot for your help!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement