Merging Simulation and 'Social' Gameplay?

Started by
11 comments, last by Acharis 10 years, 9 months ago

player should be able to have fun and do what they want in an interactive environment
As a tycoon lover I disagree. That's not why I play tycoon games. I would prefer such game to be focused on, well, being a tycoon :) Which means making money, running a business, etc. Watching NPCs play some games has nothing to do with being a tycoon :)

The whole social thing would make sense only if it was connected somehow to they tycoon part. Like, if they play a lot of games they get hot and want to buy more icecream :D So when I see people going to play I should order more of these or put some icecream stand nearby.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Advertisement

As a tycoon lover I disagree. That's not why I play tycoon games.
Exactly. I think I'm narrowing down on a solution that could appease players like yourself (Who do not have a vested interest in the actual activities they are providing), and those who

sit back and watch it semi-automatically do whatever you intended it to do is one of the greatest contents a human can experience.

aka something about creativity ;)

do. As much as I would want to force everyone on a specific time scale and have basically 'always connected' features, I don't think that's a feasible goal not only for creating the kind of environment I want for my players, but also considering the fact that I am a single developer working on this project. If I can stay away from live networking, as much as to dive in to really using it would be fun, this is less of a learning project and more of a doing one.

In regards to the tycoon aspect, hopefully I did not imply that I was forcing players to watch the activities. Although, in certain aspects, watching them may prove valuable. I hope to have a rather realistic simulation of the games being played, including trying to simulate whether your customers are having a good time or not. For instance, if you organize a game so that it is 1 vs 19 and the one player's respawn point is out in the open, chances are no one is going to have a good time. That single player dies too much, there is no 'tension' in the game (Close scores at any point), and the 19 players are not getting enough 'kills' for them to enjoy themselves either. Watching the games can help you pinpoint these problems (Assuming for whatever reason the data wasn't supplied to the player. Another design decision, but something to think about) and help fix the issue of, "Why are all my customers leaving unhappy and not spending lots of money?"

The whole social thing would make sense only if it was connected somehow to they tycoon part. Like, if they play a lot of games they get hot and want to buy more icecream So when I see people going to play I should order more of these or put some icecream stand nearby.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not quite sure I follow exactly what you mean here. I think at this point the social aspects are slowly wilting away to more of cameo appearances, rather than fundamental portions of the game play. Customers / Teams / Events from other people's games may appear or have effects on your own, but nothing theoretically impossible to just 'have happened' in the real world so to speak. (Basically, the actual influences between games are light, not forced on the player (No more than random events would be), and non-detrimental if they do not participate.)

The whole social thing would make sense only if it was connected somehow to they tycoon part. Like, if they play a lot of games they get hot and want to buy more icecream So when I see people going to play I should order more of these or put some icecream stand nearby.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? I'm not quite sure I follow exactly what you mean here. I think at this point the social aspects are slowly wilting away to more of cameo appearances, rather than fundamental portions of the game play. Customers / Teams / Events from other people's games may appear or have effects on your own, but nothing theoretically impossible to just 'have happened' in the real world so to speak. (Basically, the actual influences between games are light, not forced on the player (No more than random events would be), and non-detrimental if they do not participate.)

I meant that everything should be tied to tycoon part somehow. If there are flowers, they are there to attract more consumers. If there are cute rabbits, you can sell them for profit. Everything should (ideally) wrap up nicely.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement