Hey, the rotations don't work!

Started by
9 comments, last by cr88192 10 years, 8 months ago

[source]float deg2rad(float angle) {

return angle * 3.1415926 / 128;

}[/source]

Jeez, I wonder why...

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
Advertisement
hmm,

32 = 45 degrees
64 = 90 degrees
96 = 135 degrees
128 = pi

yea, I could see this working if you needed to condense rotations into an single byte, and didn't need very high precesion for rotatin, of course u'd probably have to use a bit to represent which half of a circle you are rotating around.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

You know you've done too much programming when you start bitshifting everything instead of adding/multiplying as usual because it's easier to read.

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

Or when you've worked so much with old systems that using 256 as a circle starts feeling natural, which is what happened to me in this case (although on those I generally would use look-up tables instead of any proper calculations with angles).

yea, I could see this working if you needed to condense rotations into an single byte, and didn't need very high precesion for rotatin, of course u'd probably have to use a bit to represent which half of a circle you are rotating around.

The trick is that 256 = full circle. This has the extra advantage that wraparound happens on its own (255 + 1 = 0 if the value is a byte). Given that in games usually you don't need that much accuracy, but you need performance a lot, on old systems this was pretty common. If you could afford the space another one was 65536 = full circle (16-bit angles, I know Allegro had used this).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

The trick is that 256 = full circle. This has the extra advantage that wraparound happens on its own (255 + 1 = 0 if the value is a byte). Given that in games usually you don't need that much accuracy, but you need performance a lot, on old systems this was pretty common. If you could afford the space another one was 65536 = full circle (16-bit angles, I know Allegro had used this).

arg, of course 256 is a full circle, i feel like such a fool for suggesting to use a special bit. it's cool to hear that retro systems did legitimately use this.

Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

Well, you could always argue that bit 7 indicates which half of the circle it is ;P (I have actually abused this before)

I use 65536 for a full circle. Much more convenient than degrees or radians, due to the auto wraparound and ability to reinterpret it as signed 16-bit for a -180 to +180 degree value (particularly handy in AI when you're deciding whether to turn left or right). And you can still use a 32 bit int if you need to go over one rotation.

well, a nifty thing about using 8 bits per angle is that it can allow fitting a rotation in a 24-bit value.

can always have something like:

32 bits: XYZ, 10 bits each (+ XZ sign)

8 bits: exponent + Y sign

24 bits: PQR rotation.

I actually experimented with things like this, mostly trying to fit full transforms into 64-bits, and vectors into 48 or 56 bits, but the precision wasn't really all that good (I was mostly experimenting with fitting vectors into tagged references).

for example (56 bit vector):

48 bits: XYZ mantissa, 15 bits each + XYZ sign

8 bits: exponent

8 bits: reserved for tag/etc

more effective is a 128 bit form:

96 bits: XYZ as floats

32 bits: rotation (PQR).

I'd say just write a 3d rotation matrix, it's not too hard ;3

View my game dev blog here!

I think his idea was to save space.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement