What programming language to use for making games?

Started by
12 comments, last by Nicholas Kong 10 years, 9 months ago

I have mild experience in C++, C#, and XNA. But I don't know if those are the most up-to-date languages for making a good game. Not saying it isn't possible to make a good game in them but I would like to know if there are better languages out there. I heard flash is really easy to use and works better than XNA.

Advertisement

"works better" in which sense?

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Flash is a downloadable security hole that is on a rapid path to extinction. (I personally hope it dies quickly)

C++ and C# are both popular options, XNA is not a language, its just a framework primarily made to allow anyone to make games using C# for the xbox360 in a way that doesn't compromise the security of the system, it is pretty tied to the xbox360 and thus can't take advantage of modern PC hardware and Microsoft has announced that they won't release any more XNA versions so it will remain as it is today but it does work great if you only need DX9 functionality. SharpDX,SlimDX and OpenTK are up to date options for C# and Unity3D is a pretty solid modern engine that lets you use C# (You could also use UnityScript or Boo with it). There is also MonoGame and Microsoft might possibly release something nice that uses C# for their upcoming console.

C++ is still the most common language to write game engines in(it is probably the least painful language to work with if you need low level access) but its popularity when it comes to writing high level game logic is fading. (Higher level languages such as Python and Lua are gaining popularity in that area quite rapidly).

My recommendation is:

If you're making your own engine or a game from scratch, go with C++ and only add scripting support if you think you'll benefit from it. (For large games you will benefit from having high level scripting support but for smaller games it is quite likely that it will take more effort to add scripting support than you'll save by having it)

If you're making a game using an existing engine, pick an engine with the functionality and platform support you need and use whichever language it supports.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

There is no such thing as a better language. The languages I have used have its up and downs in terms of the level of learning curve, setting up complex environments for the game, etc.

Challenge to learn more languages. They have their own quirks. For games, any languages that supports a graphics library will be enough to start writing games. You should also read and attempt to write your own game loop. Making sure main menu transitions to gameplay or any sort of features that is suppose to be after main menu.

The "Best" Language is the one you are more comfortable working in, if you have been writing in c# for 5 years, unless there is a professional reason for you to pick up C++, stick with C#.

N.B. XNA is NOT a Language, its is a framework written using the language C#.

Which platform are you wanting to target? If you go with a mobile platform, then you may be restricted by your choices of languages.

I have mild experience in C++, C#, and XNA. But I don't know if those are the most up-to-date languages for making a good game. Not saying it isn't possible to make a good game in them but I would like to know if there are better languages out there. I heard flash is really easy to use and works better than XNA.

The "Best" Language is the one you are more comfortable working in, if you have been writing in c# for 5 years, unless there is a professional reason for you to pick up C++, stick with C#.

N.B. XNA is NOT a Language, its is a framework written using the language C#.

The bolded 10000 times.

The only question I would ask you is this: Is there something about C# (the language) and XNA (the framework/library) that has hindered your game development? If no, then stick with it. Especially if you're a beginner or haven't made a completed game yet.

For the record, C#/XNA is more enough than and of high quality to make games. I definitely would not put Flash in the "Better" category when compared to C#/XNA.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

For the record, C#/XNA is more enough than and of high quality to make games.

That is true however, XNA I do believe will no longer be supported. This makes XNA a poor desicion to learn on since you will just have to switch.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185894/Its_official_XNA_is_dead.php

For the record, C#/XNA is more enough than and of high quality to make games.

That is true however, XNA I do believe will no longer be supported. This makes XNA a poor desicion to learn on since you will just have to switch.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/185894/Its_official_XNA_is_dead.php

Just becuse its "No longer supported" doesnt mean its dead. Its still works for both PC and XBLIA games, lots of tutorials and documentation out there, really easy to pick up, easy to distribute ...

All MS have said is "we are no longer updaing the software" which is fine ... there are (to my knowlage) no bugs which cause havok or hamper development in anyway.

The statment "This makes it a poor decision" is very very wrong imo, yes it is a poor choice of you want to make the next best indie game out there, or work on a high-end FPS etc. but for research and learning as the OP is trying todo XNA is a fantastic choice.

For games, any languages that supports a graphics library will be enough to start writing games.

and user input, otherwise it is just a movie. rolleyes.gif

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement