Is Inspiron 15R good for programming?

Started by
29 comments, last by swiftcoder 10 years, 9 months ago

Strongly recommend finding a laptop with NVIDIA graphics.

Made me curious why you won't equally recommend an ATI graphics card?

On the plus side for NVidia: Cuda, Linux
On the downside: The OpenGL drivers don't conform to the OpenGL standard.

Going back 4 years or so, I'd have recommended Nvidia. These days I generally prefer using the ATI drivers for development (but then I've typically been doing OpenGL). The nice thing about ATI is that they implement the OpenGL specs to the letter. Rather than crashing in the driver (which is what Nvidia cards tend to do more often than is fun), ATI actually fails with the correct error code, and so it's easy to diagnose any problems. If your OpenGL code works on ATI, it will typically work on Intel and NVidia cards (although you may find that you've run out of resources on the Intel cards). These days though, you can usually test both Intel and something, on the same machine, so it's possibly becoming less of an issue.

I just tend to buy refurbished laptops directly from dell (they have an 'outlet' part of their site, where they sell laptops at knockdown prices). Since Dell has already taken the price hit, it's pretty easy to sell them a year or two later, without losing a huge amount of money, and then you can buy a new one with the latest GPU/CPU specs.

For that price you might want to find something with an SSD as mentioned.

Always buy a laptop with a HDD, never with an SSD! Not all SSD's are equal, and typically computer vendors will choose the cheapest SSD available, rather than the best. Imho, you get a much better deal by buying an SSD of your choosing (along with a cheap 2.5" HDD caddy), and then perform the upgrade yourself. It can often be cheaper (or about the same price) to do that, and you end up with a nice external hard drive for backups etc.

Advertisement
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M 2GB or NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE?
  • can you guys tell me the pros and cons of them?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7730M.72678.0.html

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M.71579.0.html

I prefer ATI but then again I only use D3D and ATI has always been the better for D3D. For the 1330 price the Inspiron is better as it is cheaper even the bluray drive version.

I have an SSD at work (perforce drive only OS is on a normal HDD) and the only reason I am glad I have one is that our build tool is shit and even on an SSD rebuilding assets takes 30 minutes.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Strongly recommend finding a laptop with NVIDIA graphics.

Made me curious why you won't equally recommend an ATI graphics card?

*AMD, not "ATI" anymore. It is a reflection of my experience with the available hardware, with respect to performance, price, features, drivers, etc. No manufacturer is a panacea but I maintain that either AMD or NVIDIA is a fastly superior choice to any Intel chip, no matter what Intel claims their newest generation can do. And my personal opinion is that NVIDIA achieves the best balance right now. Others are free to disagree.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I never saw you mention anything about graphics programming or whatever, so I'm assuming you just mean programming in general. In that case, yes, it's perfectly fine for programming.

Just think of it like this: If people with that laptop can play even relatively simple Steam games (Not necessarily Skyrim), and those games are made by teams of 3 or 4 people, your game probably isn't going to be the thing to crack its back.

I never saw you mention anything about graphics programming or whatever, so I'm assuming you just mean programming in general. In that case, yes, it's perfectly fine for programming.

Just think of it like this: If people with that laptop can play even relatively simple Steam games (Not necessarily Skyrim), and those games are made by teams of 3 or 4 people, your game probably isn't going to be the thing to crack its back.

"[...] and for gaming."

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

"[...] and for gaming."

Ah, didn't see that. Well, in that case, you don't need a whole 8 gigglebits of RAM just to play some games. You need like... 4, generally. What you really need is a good graphics card. Others have mentioned an SSD, and yeah, that'd be nice, but what you absolutely need is a good graphics card, like 4GB of ram (generally), and enough holes in the case to keep it from exploding. If the laptop comes with "Intel HD Graphics," my gut reaction is "Oh dear god no."

I don't care what you're using your computer for. Memory is the absolute LAST place to try and save a few bucks, and there are enough laptops with 8 GB that are well within the OP's budget. I'd advocate for an SSD too, but it might be difficult to accomplish under $1000.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I don't care what you're using your computer for. Memory is the absolute LAST place to try and save a few bucks

QFT.

I don't run a single machine (at home or at work) with less than 16GB of RAM. Modern OS and software are memory hungry beasts. And don't get me started on build systems...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I don't care what you're using your computer for. Memory is the absolute LAST place to try and save a few bucks, and there are enough laptops with 8 GB that are well within the OP's budget. I'd advocate for an SSD too, but it might be difficult to accomplish under $1000.

I agree with the memory don't save on that, if you really need to save on something then it is the SSD as you can get away without one. But that also depends on what kind of programming you are doing, but I assume it is games and then you can do without one.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement