Help making a face needed!

Started by
6 comments, last by DVazanias 22 years, 6 months ago
I am making a human head with full expression, and speech lip synch ability for my final year project at university. I need help. I am new to open gl..more of a direct x man, but i want to do this in open gl for performance and speed of development. 1)How do i load a mesh or model of my head into an open gl world? 2)Once that is done how do i then manipulate that model to animate it? e.g. the eyes and mouth? 3)Any book reccomendations on the animation and model side? PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! Thanks for listening!
Advertisement
quote:... but i want to do this in open gl for performance and speed of development.

To my knowledge, D3D and OpenGL are very similar in performance. I don''t know about the development speed though.

quote:1)How do i load a mesh or model of my head into an open gl world?

Well that depends. There is no ''native'' mesh format in OpenGL as there is .X in D3D. Loading a mesh/model/whatever you call it depends entirely on the file format(s) you want to use. Basically, you open the file with your favorite C/C++/Delphi/etc functions, parse it into somekind of self-made data structures, and then display this data structure. For your purposes I think you should look into OpenGL vertex arrays. (The gl***Pointer functions and glDrawElements.)

quote:2)Once that is done how do i then manipulate that model to animate it? e.g. the eyes and mouth?

Well I don''t know anything about lip-synching but it would seem to me that you have to change the positions of all vertices in the mesh according to the words being spoken.

quote:
3)Any book reccomendations on the animation and model side?

Sorry, can''t help you there.

Hope that helped a bit.
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Thanks for the reply....OpenGL from my research anyway was made with performance tuning in mind, as far as i have read opengl is better for performance and runs on a wide range of platforms. I have programmed in DX and in my opinion development wise in opengl is far quicker to directx. However i may be wrong, like i say this is what i have read. Check it out, i may be wrong, but the book next to me says different. D3D, or DirectGraphics as its called as of ver 8 apparently was made with the intent of moving to a more opengl style. Anyway check it out, i''m curious to know what you find.

As for the model, how hard is it to make my own routine to load it? Is there any source code out there already? I want to make the model in 3d studio max then bring it over to opengl, are there any tutorials on animating a model out there?

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!
Well have you checked the dates of the articles you read? OpenGL used to be far faster than D3D but with the coming of DX8 I think this has changed drastically. I don''t know it from my own programming experience though, just from running programs that other people made, having both an OpenGL and D3D renderer.

There are lots of .3ds loaders freely available. I can''t really recommend one as being ''the best'' but here are a few available for download: http://www.flipcode.com/cotd/

quote:PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!! ... PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Never, ever, posts phrases like that again. They usually only make people _not_ wanting to help you. All caps is considered rude, and surely you must know yourself that ''please, please help me'' sounds pathetic.

Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Hi again,

Thanks for the link, will check it out....didn''t realise caps was so rude....and as i said before DirectX 8 went more towards opengl and therefore the performance increase. But if your going to be so anal about it then don''t call it D3D, it is now DirectXGraphics, Direct Draw and D3D have been made as one. I am guessing you already knew that , but i am not trying to start an argument. Just backing up my point.

Thanks anyhow
At http://nehe.gamedev.net/ you can find many tuts on OpenGL, one of which is about loading Quake and Milkshape (a shareware modelling package) models.

An aside on performance: there''s nothing in it - some cards are better at DX, some are better at GL, some are about the same. GL''s portability and conciseness make it my weapon of choice, but since I end up making an OOP wrapper around it anyway it doesn''t really matter if there''s DX or GL behind it, just as long as one of them is.

Uuuuuulrika-ka-ka-ka-ka-ka
CoV
Goto www.gametutorials.com they have tutorials on loading .3ds .ASE and .OBJ files. Once you have the file in memory you can access any vert and do waht ever you wish to it for Lip Sync etc.. you have to llok for articles around the net.
Yeah I know that it''s called DirectGraphics but I find the term very misleading. You can still access DirectDraw if you want. Also DirectGraphics is much more like Direct3D than DirectDraw.

Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits
Dirk =[Scarab]= Gerrits

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement