[Requesting Feedback] Portfolio

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 10 years, 9 months ago

Hi guys, Tetiro here.

I've been games design and development as a hobby for the last 8 years and now it's time to get into the industry. Last week I took my RPG engine to Develop Brighton for one day and everyone who I showed it to liked the engine and it's Android control scheme (including professional developers). So now I'm all the more determined to get my portfolio up and ready as I hope to pursue games designing as the career choice.

I have spent the last 2 months working on the portfolio, bringing together the work I am most proud of into it. The portfolio is still unfinished and will be for a while but by getting feedback now, I can improve it!

http://tetiro.wordpress.com/

Please provide as much feedback as possible. If something isn't right, tell me why :D

Advertisement

I'm not sure this is an actual portfolio.

I've browsed what appears to be a mix between a blog and a resume...

While the resume part is probably essential, regarding actual portfolio work, you should do more "show" than "tell".

It's ok to explain the premice, but displaying your blog posts to a potential recruiter or publisher (I assume this is the purpose of your current endaevour?) will only let them know you are opiniated, and won't do much in regards to explaining what your skills are.

If at all possible, I'd dedicate a section of videos with brief explanations of context and the logic behind how you've organized your work.

The video will display what you can do (results) and the paragraphs will explain, to a more technical audience, how you've achieved it (and whether they believe this is a good way to do it).

Lastly, I'd join effort with an artist, if only to skin your UI and add some visual. The reason for this is twofold:

- Part of the people that browse portfolios are not necessarily tech-savvy, and having some eye-candy might draw their attention before they send it over to the tech guys (for example, in a previous office, the HR in charge of recruiting programmers would look up and find suitable candidates before forwarding their work to our tech director, which would then pick the best).

- It will give you more experience with integration, iteration, etc.

- (Bonus) If the artist is also trying to build a portfolio, he'll be happy to do it for free because he'll be able to work with an actual programmer, giving him a serious edge over other potential competitors (artists) that are good "on paper" with no actual work to show for. It's better for you, and its better for him, so do it :)

I'm not sure this is an actual portfolio.

I've browsed what appears to be a mix between a blog and a resume...

While the resume part is probably essential, regarding actual portfolio work, you should do more "show" than "tell".

It's ok to explain the premice, but displaying your blog posts to a potential recruiter or publisher (I assume this is the purpose of your current endaevour?) will only let them know you are opiniated, and won't do much in regards to explaining what your skills are.

If at all possible, I'd dedicate a section of videos with brief explanations of context and the logic behind how you've organized your work.

The video will display what you can do (results) and the paragraphs will explain, to a more technical audience, how you've achieved it (and whether they believe this is a good way to do it).

Lastly, I'd join effort with an artist, if only to skin your UI and add some visual. The reason for this is twofold:

- Part of the people that browse portfolios are not necessarily tech-savvy, and having some eye-candy might draw their attention before they send it over to the tech guys (for example, in a previous office, the HR in charge of recruiting programmers would look up and find suitable candidates before forwarding their work to our tech director, which would then pick the best).

- It will give you more experience with integration, iteration, etc.

- (Bonus) If the artist is also trying to build a portfolio, he'll be happy to do it for free because he'll be able to work with an actual programmer, giving him a serious edge over other potential competitors (artists) that are good "on paper" with no actual work to show for. It's better for you, and its better for him, so do it smile.png

This feedback is perfect! I'll get cracking on it this weekend and perhaps tonight! :D

And alot of game dev people use blogs as portfolios. You just have to ensure that there is a page dedicated to the portfolio. Like a main hub. Mine is still very early stages of course :)

Perhaps I should produce videos demonstrating the games I have produced?

Though could you go into more detail about the videos you are suggesting I should do?

A simple search finds many good sites.

Good list of projects, includes images of everything, short description, plus source and executable for most. Very well done.

Images, descriptions, and details. Lacks the source code and executable, but well done.

Images, descriptions, and either videos or playable demos. I don't like the visual style, but well done.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement