• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
King_Tetiro

[Requesting Feedback] Portfolio

3 posts in this topic

Hi guys, Tetiro here.

I've been games design and development as a hobby for the last 8 years and now it's time to get into the industry. Last week I took my RPG engine to Develop Brighton for one day and everyone who I showed it to liked the engine and it's Android control scheme (including professional developers). So now I'm all the more determined to get my portfolio up and ready as I hope to pursue games designing as the career choice.

I have spent the last 2 months working on the portfolio, bringing together the work I am most proud of into it. The portfolio is still unfinished and will be for a while but by getting feedback now, I can improve it!

http://tetiro.wordpress.com/

Please provide as much feedback as possible. If something isn't right, tell me why :D

I'm not sure this is an actual portfolio.

I've browsed what appears to be a mix between a blog and a resume...

While the resume part is probably essential, regarding actual portfolio work, you should do more "show" than "tell".

It's ok to explain the premice, but displaying your blog posts to a potential recruiter or publisher (I assume this is the purpose of your current endaevour?) will only let them know you are opiniated, and won't do much in regards to explaining what your skills are.

If at all possible, I'd dedicate a section of videos with brief explanations of context and the logic behind how you've organized your work.

The video will display what you can do (results) and the paragraphs will explain, to a more technical audience, how you've achieved it (and whether they believe this is a good way to do it).

Lastly, I'd join effort with an artist, if only to skin your UI and add some visual. The reason for this is twofold:

- Part of the people that browse portfolios are not necessarily tech-savvy, and having some eye-candy might draw their attention before they send it over to the tech guys (for example, in a previous office, the HR in charge of recruiting programmers would look up and find suitable candidates before forwarding their work to our tech director, which would then pick the best).

- It will give you more experience with integration, iteration, etc.

- (Bonus) If the artist is also trying to build a portfolio, he'll be happy to do it for free because he'll be able to work with an actual programmer, giving him a serious edge over other potential competitors (artists) that are good "on paper" with no actual work to show for. It's better for you, and its better for him, so do it :)

I'm not sure this is an actual portfolio.

I've browsed what appears to be a mix between a blog and a resume...

While the resume part is probably essential, regarding actual portfolio work, you should do more "show" than "tell".

It's ok to explain the premice, but displaying your blog posts to a potential recruiter or publisher (I assume this is the purpose of your current endaevour?) will only let them know you are opiniated, and won't do much in regards to explaining what your skills are.

If at all possible, I'd dedicate a section of videos with brief explanations of context and the logic behind how you've organized your work.

The video will display what you can do (results) and the paragraphs will explain, to a more technical audience, how you've achieved it (and whether they believe this is a good way to do it).

Lastly, I'd join effort with an artist, if only to skin your UI and add some visual. The reason for this is twofold:

- Part of the people that browse portfolios are not necessarily tech-savvy, and having some eye-candy might draw their attention before they send it over to the tech guys (for example, in a previous office, the HR in charge of recruiting programmers would look up and find suitable candidates before forwarding their work to our tech director, which would then pick the best).

- It will give you more experience with integration, iteration, etc.

- (Bonus) If the artist is also trying to build a portfolio, he'll be happy to do it for free because he'll be able to work with an actual programmer, giving him a serious edge over other potential competitors (artists) that are good "on paper" with no actual work to show for. It's better for you, and its better for him, so do it smile.png

This feedback is perfect! I'll get cracking on it this weekend and perhaps tonight! :D

And alot of game dev people use blogs as portfolios. You just have to ensure that there is a page dedicated to the portfolio. Like a main hub. Mine is still very early stages of course :)

Perhaps I should produce videos demonstrating the games I have produced?

Though could you go into more detail about the videos you are suggesting I should do?