Upcoming Unofficial GameDev Competition

Started by
130 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 7 months ago

Existing code libraries and engines may be used, whether or not they were made by you (but games or game logic may not be). As for art... I'm not sure. A part of me wants art to be original (and made during the 7 days), but at the same time, I don't think I'll have require audio to be made/composed during the 7 days... My current thinking is that 2D and 3D art must be made during the 7 days, but audio is not restricted. Thoughts on this?

Seems like for art and music assets, a flat "create it within the 7 days, or use public resources available to everyone" is fair.
Advertisement

After some discussion, we're still working out all the technical details, but we'll be providing a one-off reputation bonus of +5 +50 points to all participants who successfully complete an entry, as well as a larger to-be-determined bonus for the winner (and possibly runners up if there are enough participants). All of these points would be in the participation category.

- Jason Astle-Adams

but we'll be providing a one-off reputation bonus of +5 points to all participants who successfully complete an entry

5? That's it? Did you miss a '0' or '00'?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

but we'll be providing a one-off reputation bonus of +5 points to all participants who successfully complete an entry

5? That's it? Did you miss a '0' or '00'?

[attachment=16997:gift-clubs-kids.jpg]

Why not bump it up to a +50? I think it's a pretty big deal if a person is a successful completer.

Alright, sounds good to me; +50 "participation" rep-points for successful participants!

The original thought process was that it would be easier to provide a significantly higher bonus as a prize for the winner (and second/third prizes if there are enough participants) with a low participation award, but you're right -- we still have plenty of wiggle room to offer higher prizes than +50 without making the winning bonuses too ridiculous.

- Jason Astle-Adams

1st place: 150

2nd place: 100

3rd place: 75

I would add those points on top of the already 50 points they're getting. But you could easily just replace the 50 with prize points.

Seems like for art and music assets, a flat "create it within the 7 days, or use public resources available to everyone" is fair.

Ok, so what if we applied the same to the coding rules? Create it in the 7 days, or use public resources available to everyone (so if you have your own library/engine you'd like to use that you've made in the past, you need to make it publicly available (under whatever license, provided the license would allow someone to use it during the 7 day competition)).

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

So I take it that using Game Maker will get you disqualified....?

So I take it that using Game Maker will get you disqualified....?

No, because it's a tool that's a) available to everyone in the same way, and b) you still have to actually make the game.

Also, @jbadams and @Michael Tanczos: That's awesome, thanks for the support!!!

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

If someone is using an engine or framework they've built in the past, personally, I don't think they should have to open source it if they don't want to. I would agree with submitting source code if the contest was "7 day, build everything from scratch". But if it's just make a game in 7 days, they should be just allowed to do so. The Honor system has worked so far on GameDev. I don't see why we shouldn't trust each other at this point.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement