Upcoming Unofficial GameDev Competition

Started by
130 comments, last by jbadams 9 years, 7 months ago

If someone is using an engine or framework they've built in the past, personally, I don't think they should have to open source it if they don't want to. I would agree with submitting source code if the contest was "7 day, build everything from scratch". But if it's just make a game in 7 days, they should be just allowed to do so. The Honor system has worked so far on GameDev. I don't see why we shouldn't trust each other at this point.

I'd have to agree with this. The framework i've built for myself is in no way ready for being open-sourced.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

Code libraries I personally view differently. Since it's not gameplay related, and everyone builds up their own helper-functions over time, I don't think it matters.

It'd only really matter if everyone was forced to use the same language and same APIs, because then existing codebases would give an unfair advantage.

It's not a game engine - I won't use my game logic code. Just copy+paste the helper functions that I need.

But if person A is using Python and pygame, and Python has a bajillion standard classes you can just import,

And person S(ervant) is using C++ and SFML, and has his own library of functions which just cover the same ground that Python's standard library already covers: String to type conversion, file loading and parsing, point and rect classes, etc... I don't see the harm.

But yeah, I could make it available publicly before the contest begins like you said, and link to it in this thread. I just don't know what parts I'll need once the game is underway, and don't want to make the whole unstructured mess publicly available (unless I intend to sabotage others' projects laugh.png).

But maybe I could make an educated guess and release some general functions that might be of use to me and others for the contest.

But if person A is using Python and pygame, and Python has a bajillion standard classes you can just import,

And person S(ervant) is using C++ and SFML, and has his own library of functions which just cover the same ground that Python's standard library already covers: String to type conversion, file loading and parsing, point and rect classes, etc... I don't see the harm.

Sounds like someone picked a platform more suitable for a 7 day game contest ;)

Well one thing I want is at least somewhat consistent rules. So if code/libraries/engines from past projects is allowed (without being required to be made publicly available), then I think art and sound from past projects should also be allowed (without being required to be made publicly available).

[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

Well one thing I want is at least somewhat consistent rules. So if code/libraries/engines from past projects is allowed (without being required to be made publicly available), then I think art and sound from past projects should also be allowed (without being required to be made publicly available).

is the code going to be made available with the game? what's to prevent me from using past resources anyway, and just claiming i made it in the 7 days? perhaps it's putting to much of a restriction on things, and truthfully, their is little ways you can absolutely prove that someone made stuff outside those 7 days. however, if we take a slightly more relaxed restriction, then it won't matter that some resources are being used that were made for other projects/games, what matters is that the game itself is still being built in those 7 days.

if everything must absolutely be made in those 7 days, then it does put into question tools that come with pre-made assets for use.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

That sounds fair.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

That sounds fair.

Fair in which way? Past art, music, code = free game, or only the code and art assets you publicly make available is free game?

I'm fine with whatever way you decide upon - I just need the rules clear in my head I don't accidentally violate it! =)
I feel like my art *would* give me an unfair advantage, and I feel like my code *won't*. So whatever decision you choose, just let me know! I agree that consistency in the rules is good.

Fair in which way? Past art, music, code = free game, or only the code and art assets you publicly make available is free game?

I think that if you have graphics, music, and/or code you've used in the past, then it can be used to make a game for this contest. And it doesn't have to be released to the public. Obviously, you're not going to be a douche and submit a game you've already written.

1st place: 150

2nd place: 100

3rd place: 75

Funny, after initially low-balling the amount of points for participation, I was (and still am) thinking a little higher than that for prizes. cool.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

1st place: 150
2nd place: 100
3rd place: 75

Funny, after initially low-balling the amount of points for participation, I was (and still am) thinking a little higher than that for prizes. cool.png

Well if that's the case, don't let me stop you biggrin.png

How about then ...
1st place: 300
2nd place: 225
3rd place: 150

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement