• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cornstalks

Upcoming Unofficial GameDev Competition

131 posts in this topic

1st place: 150

2nd place: 100

3rd place: 75

I would add those points on top of the already 50 points they're getting. But you could easily just replace the 50 with prize points.

Seems like for art and music assets, a flat "create it within the 7 days, or use public resources available to everyone" is fair.

Ok, so what if we applied the same to the coding rules? Create it in the 7 days, or use public resources available to everyone (so if you have your own library/engine you'd like to use that you've made in the past, you need to make it publicly available (under whatever license, provided the license would allow someone to use it during the 7 day competition)).

Edited by Cornstalks

So I take it that using Game Maker will get you disqualified....?

No, because it's a tool that's a) available to everyone in the same way, and b) you still have to actually make the game.

Also, @jbadams and @Michael Tanczos: That's awesome, thanks for the support!!!

If someone is using an engine or framework they've built in the past, personally, I don't think they should have to open source it if they don't want to. I would agree with submitting source code if the contest was "7 day, build everything from scratch". But if it's just make a game in 7 days, they should be just allowed to do so. The Honor system has worked so far on GameDev. I don't see why we shouldn't trust each other at this point.

If someone is using an engine or framework they've built in the past, personally, I don't think they should have to open source it if they don't want to. I would agree with submitting source code if the contest was "7 day, build everything from scratch". But if it's just make a game in 7 days, they should be just allowed to do so. The Honor system has worked so far on GameDev. I don't see why we shouldn't trust each other at this point.

I'd have to agree with this. The framework i've built for myself is in no way ready for being open-sourced.

Code libraries I personally view differently. Since it's not gameplay related, and everyone builds up their own helper-functions over time, I don't think it matters.

It'd only really matter if everyone was forced to use the same language and same APIs, because then existing codebases would give an unfair advantage.

It's not a game engine - I won't use my game logic code. Just copy+paste the helper functions that I need.

But if person A is using Python and pygame, and Python has a bajillion standard classes you can just import,

And person S(ervant) is using C++ and SFML, and has his own library of functions which just cover the same ground that Python's standard library already covers: String to type conversion, file loading and parsing, point and rect classes, etc... I don't see the harm.

But yeah, I could make it available publicly before the contest begins like you said, and link to it in this thread. I just don't know what parts I'll need once the game is underway, and don't want to make the whole unstructured mess publicly available (unless I intend to sabotage others' projects laugh.png).

But maybe I could make an educated guess and release some general functions that might be of use to me and others for the contest.

Edited by Servant of the Lord

But if person A is using Python and pygame, and Python has a bajillion standard classes you can just import,

And person S(ervant) is using C++ and SFML, and has his own library of functions which just cover the same ground that Python's standard library already covers: String to type conversion, file loading and parsing, point and rect classes, etc... I don't see the harm.

Sounds like someone picked a platform more suitable for a 7 day game contest ;)

Well one thing I want is at least somewhat consistent rules. So if code/libraries/engines from past projects is allowed (without being required to be made publicly available), then I think art and sound from past projects should also be allowed (without being required to be made publicly available).

Well one thing I want is at least somewhat consistent rules. So if code/libraries/engines from past projects is allowed (without being required to be made publicly available), then I think art and sound from past projects should also be allowed (without being required to be made publicly available).

is the code going to be made available with the game? what's to prevent me from using past resources anyway, and just claiming i made it in the 7 days? perhaps it's putting to much of a restriction on things, and truthfully, their is little ways you can absolutely prove that someone made stuff outside those 7 days. however, if we take a slightly more relaxed restriction, then it won't matter that some resources are being used that were made for other projects/games, what matters is that the game itself is still being built in those 7 days.

if everything must absolutely be made in those 7 days, then it does put into question tools that come with pre-made assets for use.

That sounds fair. Edited by Alpha_ProgDes

That sounds fair.

Fair in which way? Past art, music, code = free game, or only the code and art assets you publicly make available is free game?

I'm fine with whatever way you decide upon - I just need the rules clear in my head I don't accidentally violate it! =)
I feel like my art *would* give me an unfair advantage, and I feel like my code *won't*. So whatever decision you choose, just let me know! I agree that consistency in the rules is good.

Fair in which way? Past art, music, code = free game, or only the code and art assets you publicly make available is free game?

I think that if you have graphics, music, and/or code you've used in the past, then it can be used to make a game for this contest. And it doesn't have to be released to the public. Obviously, you're not going to be a douche and submit a game you've already written.

Funny, after initially low-balling the amount of points for participation, I was (and still am) thinking a little higher than that for prizes. cool.png

Funny, after initially low-balling the amount of points for participation, I was (and still am) thinking a little higher than that for prizes. cool.png

Well if that's the case, don't let me stop you biggrin.png

How about then ...
1st place: 300
2nd place: 225
3rd place: 150

Updated the rules to say:

"You may use any library, game engine, tools, art, or audio to develop the game, provided you have the appropriate license to do so (if licensing is required for what you use); note that this means you may use code, art, and audio that you or others may have made in the past (the explicit limitation is that you may not use existing game logic (i.e. you may use libraries and engines, but you still have to actually make the game during the 7 day period))"

I think there are tons of freely available resources for art and audio such that if you have a few of your own that you've made, it won't give you an unfair advantage. Plus your game must fit the theme that will be announced, which means someone will either have to be very creative about how they use existing assets, or use new ones specifically suited for the theme.

This is cool! I've been wanted to do a comp for a very long time, and I keep missing LD.

Do we need to do anything else besides post to actually sign up?

Not sure if I want to go solo or get a small team. I'll update as soon as I can.

might i suggest we create a system for floaters? people that don't have a team(and want to find one), or don't want to directly compete, but don't mind helping out with creating art/music assets for teams?  when i went to toJam a couple years ago, their were a fair few floaters in both category's.  essentially, the team would go to the staff, and say they need some art/music.  the staff would then find a free floater, and put them in touch with the team, either the floater would join the team for the competition, or simply do the requested work.

Do we need to do anything else besides post to actually sign up?

Currently, no. When we get a little closer I'll make a full list of people/teams, but I'll let people join in even during the 7 day period.

might i suggest we create a system for floaters?

I like that idea!

I'm currently debating creating a little website for this. A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

I would think jbadams and Michael may wanna eyeball this request....

A part of me wants to do it all on GDNet, but a part of me wants some of the added flexibility that would come by setting up a little server and website. I'll think about it...

I would think jbadams and Michael may wanna eyeball this request....

I think if they go out of their way too much then it would be an official GDNet competition ;)

Okay, I won't set up my own server/website. About a week before the competition, I'll create a new thread. This thread will detail the rules, FAQ, and specific details of the competition. The new thread that I'll create (when it's time) will be specifically for the competition; participants will submit their entries there (or through PMs); the list of teams/participants and judges will be posted there; I will update the OP in the new thread to show each game (and if there are any problems a judge has had in running the game); in short, this thread will kind of be the "administrative" thread for the competition, and the new thread will be "the competition" thread.

Count me in smile.png

I've had fun with the two that i've participated in, With the second one where i actually spent most of my time on gameplay and not getting it to work.

Should we list any dependencies( MSVC, Python, LUE Etc ) before hand like before ?

Just a thought, but saying someone can't compete in multiple teams doesn't seem very useful. Most people won't want to or be able to, but in theory there might be an artist or something who could help multiple teams - especially as such people are rare than letting them be as useful as they want to be seems better.