Game Project Concept Help

Started by
4 comments, last by Stormynature 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys,
I am a making a small 3d game on robot fighting for my University mini project. It is bascially about implementing different AI Algos (Adaptive AI and Q-Learning) AI stuff.. I am having problems with the base concepts about the game. The game starts with a robot(the player) capable of running, jumping, punching and kicking. I don't to make another mortal combat but need a more fun to play fighting game.
Basically, I was thinking of introducing some rocket launchers, maybe. But that simply doesn't fit into close style combat. Or should I totally revamp the game and cut off close combat stuff and rely on projectile weaponary? Then again, I don't want it to be another unreal tournament. :P
Any cool ideas appreciated. Given the time frame(below), its not going to be a great eye candy but I want ot make sure its engaging because of its gameplay.
I am using Unity3D and Blender.
I have 3 months time. I know, it seems very less time but its out of my hand.
Any kind of help is appreciated.

UPDATE: I was thinking that the 1st level will be like Mario Platformer and then as soon as the boss comes, the camera will change to a 3rd person one...

Advertisement

A concept

Make the robot a Buddhist. Every time the robot defeats an enemy have some platitude be expressed (Be witty and varied). Use alternative strategies to avoid combat where possible which increases your enlightenment level which unlocks new abilities such as "Befriend - an enemy becomes your ally", "flower power" - an area of effect which obscures enemy sight, "12 step program" - your robot creates 12 invisible steps usable only by them by which they can climb up 12 steps. The boss has one hit point at the end and is immune to "befriend" - your goal is too avoid all of his attacks whilst preaching many, many pithy sayings that over time increase your enlightenment level until you achieve full acceptance and then die to evolve onto the next level. If you kill the boss you restart the entire level as you have obviously not advanced enough to ascend beyond this level.

wow... thats' an eye opener. 1. The actual aim is NOT to fight as far as possible. I Like it. 2. You actually die fighting the boss to advance to next level. Brilliant. Wouldn't it be cool if the Buddhist could levitate? What I understand is that the Buddhist is manipulating surrounding objects to avoid a combat(Smelling Limbo a bit here.. ). This makes it a puzzle and action game. Right? The whole concept has changed how I was thinking and doing stuff. Thanks a lottt for your precious time. I will be updating proto sketches soon.

1. The actual aim is NOT to fight as far as possible. I Like it.2. You actually die fighting the boss to advance to next level.

Absolutely -- admittedly my suggested abilities were tongue in cheek but the premise is as you have determined. By establishing that you have achieved the technical side of things with your project and then incorporating a somewhat different approach to the "normality" of gameplay you should enable your mini-project to stand out of the crowd.

The use of Buddhism, reincarnation and enlightenment provides a background theme which will essentially justify the above approach. You can also reference the "Deus ex machina" meaning "God from the machine" which can act as a double pun by where having trapped your robot into an inescapable corner you then reach forth and pluck him from his woes by such a device as the path to enlightenment. I made mention of witty repartee in my earlier posts and this game concept has all the essentials of being a great platform for this type of presentation.

@Stormynature, I WAS thinking about reincarnation. Cool. Got so much info from google about Buddhism and stuff. I think my story script is pretty clear now. Project Status (Pre-production. i.e. NO ACTUAL CODING :P): Base Concept - Done. Characters - 3 (including the player) done. Level 1 - Done. 1 last thing I really want to bug you about is the player itself. Do you think this would be cooler - the player starts as a simple human. if he dies before preaching in front of the boss, he will re-incarnate only 1 more time but this time, as a robot. That way, the dual character nature of the game will engage the players.

Rather than necessarily thinking of a human being involved which reincarnates into a robot how about instead work the robot reincarnating into different robotic forms. Below is one supposed list of the 10 levels of reincarnation. If you design a mechanical analogue for each level then you could literally evolve/devolve as you pass by the different levels. Arguably you could even design levels that require you to devolve a level or two in order to access abilities only available at that level in incarnation. (The game reasoning for devolution being: "in order to learn a piece of the greater truth i.e. leading to the development of the robotic soul"). If he should die prior to the boss you then send the robot to the start of a level or at the last check/save point and they are reincarnated into whichever form they have achieved at that time. You could build mini-meditation points in the game which enable the player to evolve if they are sufficiently high in karma - devolution occurring ingame as they commit unwholesome acts undoing their karmic buildup.

1. Buddha
  2. Bodhisattva (an enlightened being destined to be a Buddha, but purposely remaining on earth to teach others)
  3. Pratyeka Buddha (a Buddha for himself)
  4. Sravka (direct disciple of Buddha)
  5. heavenly beings (superhuman [angels?])
  6. human beings
  7. Asura (fighting spirits)
  8. beasts
  9. Preta (hungry ghosts)
  10. depraved men (hellish beings).

Hope this helps smile.png

Edit: Actually in thinking further - devolution might also be an act of choice but each level you choose to devolve might incur a karmic cost - so that when you reach a mini-meditation point you may not be able to evolve as high as you were previously thus requiring more work re-achieve the same point i.e. a spiritual corruption having been invited into yourself by devolving that must be cleansed.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement