Sign in to follow this  
darkfallencf

Reservation Keeping Program

darkfallencf    134

My family owns a small inn that is pretty popular in our small tourist town. My grandmother who owns the inn is stubborn and refuses to pay the money to buy a program to take care of reservations for certain rooms. She thinks that we should stick with the book where we literally write everything down. This is very messy and people get double booked into the same room all of the time. I want to write a simple program that keeps track of the reservations and doesn't allow you to book the same room on the same night.

I am not completely new to programming. I started out learning C++ when I was in high school and got pretty far but got bored of it because I didn't have any good ideas like the one I have now.  I then went into doing lua scripting for a video game called Garry's Mod which was really good practice. I know about the basics variables, functions, classes and such but now I want to learn C# and try to make this reservation program. I bought C# book and it should arrive tomorrow.

The reason I am making this post is to ask what I need to learn before I even attempt to start this. It seems like I just have to learn how to use Visual Studios to make the actual "Form" and then use functions and data tables to organize everything but I really have no clue. I little feedback would be greatly appreciated.

frob    44908
Preventing double-booking is actually a rather involved topic, something studied in Computer Science database courses.

It will be much cheaper, faster, and easier to buy an out-of-the-box solution than to develop your own.

There are services out there that will provide comprehensive online booking services for under $100/month. You will need to use them for many years in order to come close to the cost in time and effort of developing your own solution's first pass. Your customers are already used to the common interfaces used by the industry, and trust existing online booking systems. Developing your own will be a very expensive uphill battle. I recommend against it.

Consider how much this costs you already, right now. A double-booking costs your reputation. A double-booking when no other rooms are available can cost you many lost customers as word-of-mouth spreads "avoid this place".

It is just one of many pieces of software that you are better off buying rather than building.

Just use Microsoft Excel. Problem solved. (Assuming problem == double booking. If problem == learning C#, then Excel won't help)

If you don't have Excel already, use either Open Office or Google Docs. But Microsoft Excel is superior if you have it.

Edited by Servant of the Lord