Bossa Nova Theme - Feedback Please!

Started by
4 comments, last by m4uesviecr 10 years, 8 months ago
Hey Game-devians. I'm here with a theme for a project I am currently writing for.

The game itself is nestled in bossa nova, and I have been working on a character theme.

I would LOVE some constructive criticism on this piece.

It isn't finished (still have some things I want to add in), but I am concerned the most about the balance and mixing.

Mola Mola

Thanks for those willing to listen and leave comments!

My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/jasminecoopermusic

"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you are an artist." Max Jacob

Advertisement

Hi!

The guitar is a little raw, if that makes sense, and maybe a little too distinct. The same with the flute, it's like someone is playing literally into my ear. I'd try to lower their volume and perhaps add some reverb to it/them. Otherwise, good stuff, really enjoyed the piano bits.

Rune Hansen

Developer

10ahead Games

www.10aheadgames.com

Okay, thanks for the input. I'll try backing them out a bit, and see how it feels.

"The moment you cheat for the sake of beauty, you know you are an artist." Max Jacob

I agree, I had to turn up the track for the intro piano, and then the flute nearly made made my ears bleed. I'd also say, for an instrument that is playing the central melody, you shouldn't have it panned so far out. It should be the main focus at the time it is being played if that makes sense. As stated before, also add a reverb send or something along those lines for depth and location. A helpful tip about mixing is to actually mix all the tracks at a quite/speaking level. If you can hear all the instruments playing without having to turn it up, you know you've done a good job.

I really missed the bass groove in this bossa nova... which to me is a vital component to that style. The production itself could use some tweaking, like the others have noted but I think the core of the genre is definitely there!

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Hey guys. Thanks a ton for all of your comments!

Nsm - I have been struggling with that as well. Making sure it doesn't sound too bass-y (overpowred), versus not bass-y enough. I think I still need to do some tweaking here and there with that.

Kk. Here is a brief update, just to see if I went in the right direction. I accidentally overwrote the old version, but critique on this new version will be just as helpful!

Mola Mola Updated

Since majority of the OST will be Bossa Nova, if I can get this down, I should be alright with the others.

Thanks guys. It really means a lot that you are willing to take time out and offer advice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement