Data clipped before Output Merger

Started by
13 comments, last by Plerion 10 years, 9 months ago

I have run into a few issues with the new graphics debugger that PIX didn't have and it is really annoying I had something fail a depth test but the depth test wasn't on for that particular drawcall it turned out that it actually failed a stencil test. I had to go through all the states for that particular draw call to figure out what was happening to it.

The other problem is that PIX no longer understands the DX11.1 runtime so even if the application is shared if it is build against the DX11.1 runtime PIX will fail to open the application, and seeing he is building his application with VS2012 it is very likely it's built against the DX11.1 runtime sadly.

Currently I am having to deal with GPUPerfStudio 2 and it is not perfect either and only works for AMD cards, there is another plugin for VS that might help you and it is called NSight but that only works for NVidia cards and you have to register as a developer with NVidia to get it.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Advertisement
And for both the graphics debugger and NSight one needs a non-Express version of VS as it seems. And if that exe is 11.1 I couldn't help either. I feared as much. Thanks for the heads-up. Makes me even less inclined to get my hands on a Pro version. Pity, PIX was/is quite cool.

Rant over. Another alternative to try is Intel's GPA Frame Analyzer.

NightCreature also recommended NVidia's PerfHUD . Can't comment on that yet, I used it back on Win XP with DX9, but couldn't get it to work with my new system. The latest seems to support Fermi Architecture though.

Well seeing he has the graphics debugger up in VS2012 we don't have to worry about the OP having an express version. It is worth getting a pro version for VS if you don't have one btw, but try and get it through someone who works for MS as that saves hundreds of <your currency here>.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

Well seeing he has the graphics debugger up in VS2012 we don't have to worry about the OP having an express version

Oh boy, what a brainfart on my part tongue.png

Thanks for the hint. I already touched one for a little freelancing. Amazing how convenient stuff gets, when you're normally used to Express.

Enough off topic: @Plerion other things to try: Disable transformation altogether (or transform on the CPU) so you know what you get.

Hello everyone

Thanks for your answers, im not using PIX as it doesnt work on windows 8 with d3d11 (im not using 11.1) (known bug). Sadly NVIDIA NSight doesnt come for VS13 yet (i think they sent a newsletter that its for VS12 now, but not sure).

About the actual problem:
Seems the graphics debugger in visual studio is not really showing the real data, it much rather reads my mind and displays what id actually like to see :D. The matrices were not transposed and thus obviously the results were not right. Nevertheless the graphics debugger showed the resulting triangle exactly as it would look in projection space, weird...

However, now everything works, thanks a lot for all your hints and replies!

Greetings

Plerion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement