Learning C++ with OpenGL

Started by
3 comments, last by alvaro 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi!

I'm currently learning modern OpenGL with LWJGL, and I have some experience in Java and C# (2 - 2,5 years). On the other hand, I want to learn C++ too. Is it "hard" to learn both? (C++ and OpenGL too) I have a bit of experience in C++, but I like the managed languages more. But I want to have some more experience in C++ too

Advertisement
OpenGL isn't a language. It's an API that is language agnostic. It shouldn't factor into your decision to learn C++.

That's why I ask it. I could learn OGL in a more familiar language than C++, but if I start learning C++ I could continue my OGL learning. So I could learn both of them

I guess my point is that if you are already learning OpenGL, then learning C++ shouldn't effect your ability to continue to do so. The OpenGL calls will be structured differently, but that is due to the underlying language structure. The OpenGL practices that you use in one language will still translate to another, as far as OpenGL is concerned. Your ability to learn both at the same time is going to be based on your ability to learn both at the same time.

I recommend learning one thing at a time: If you make a C++ program that uses OpenGL and it doesn't work, you can't know with any confidence if the problem is in the C++ or in your usage of OpenGL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement