is adding two same numbers faster than multiplication by two?

Started by
15 comments, last by Khatharr 10 years, 8 months ago

Title quite says it. In other words, what will compiler compile if it recieves b=b+b;?

will it perform b=b*2, thus one bit shift, or it will add the two numbers? consider the numbers to be integers.

Thanks much!

Advertisement

Look at the disassembly and find out...

Note that the compiler will optimise multiplication by constants anyway so code wise it doesn't matter what you do (for integers with optimisation enabled anyway). This sort of thing doesn't matter anymore, it used to matter when hand coding in assembly (especially on processors which don't have a native multiply instruction).

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

These days this particular case doesn't matter even if you are programming in assembly: Adding an integer to itself or shifting it one bit are similarly [and extremely] cheap operations.

If you are worried about performance, you should be thinking of cache misses (memory fragmentation), branch misprediction (conditional statements that don't follow a simple pattern) and a few expensive operations (logarithms, trigonometric functions...). You can even try to reduce your use of integer division. But addition and shifting are essentially free.

[EDIT: Of course, algorithmic improvements dwarf all the other considerations; but I assume you knew that.]

Yep, what's been said.
Note that some operations you'd think would be replaced by bit shifting doesn't yield the same result.
For example (-2 / 2) and (-2 >> 1) don't give the same result.
If you're working with signed integers, there's a higher chance the compiler won't change some arithmetic operations to bitshifting.
Wikipedia seems to have something about the subject.

Note that some operations you'd think would be replaced by bit shifting doesn't yield the same result.

Shifting a signed integer to the right propagates the sign bit, which results in the correct result.

#include <iostream>

int main() {
  std::cout << (-2 / 2) << '\n';
  std::cout << (-2 >> 1) << '\n';
}

Output:

Any actual difference that might exist is going to stem from how the processor's particular micro-architecture handle the different options, and perhaps from reduced pressure on the instruction-cache if the instruction sizes are different. It's not something you can hope to control from code -- even assembly language -- so your best bet is to just do what reads most clearly. Moreso, even, because compilers themselves are very smart about this kind of thing and have more context than you; being overly clever in your arrangement of code can prevent the compiler from recognizing bits of code it could have optimized if they were just written in the straight-forward way.

Modern processors, too, are incredibly complex, and incredibly smart. Today, some common variations of certain instructions aren't even executed -- they cost literally zero processor cycles, and consume no back-end execution resources of the processor. Throughput of these kinds of instructions are limited by other pathways in the processor (i-cache bandwidth, register renaming, etc). I doubt if this particular case is handled in this way, but I mention it because it demonstrates clearly the amount of effort that processor designers expend to make even "dumb" code run fast -- If you do the simple, straight-forward, recommended thing, other people make careers of making that go fast. As a programmer, its really your job to pick the right algorithm and, for the most part, be done with it.

For an interesting read on the kinds of micro-architecture-level optimizations I mentioned, check out The Surprising Subtleties of Zeroing a Register.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

will it perform b=b*2, thus one bit shift, or it will add the two numbers? consider the numbers to be integers.

Thanks much!

As others have touched on and Ravyne's link show, it is not as simple as it seems.

For the code b=b+b, the compiler will probably generate exactly the code you are expecting: add reg, reg

If it doesn't do that, it is because the compiler is smarter than you. If that is the case, you don't need to worry about it. That's why compiler optimizer programmers make the big money, so you don't have to. :-)

Shifting a signed integer to the right propagates the sign bit, which results in the correct result.

Shifting a negative signed integer to the right may or may not propagate the sign bit, the results of right shifting a negative are implementation defined in C++.

#include <iostream>

int main() {
  std::cout << (-2 / 2) << '\n';
  std::cout << (-2 >> 1) << '\n';
}

Output:

Ooops, that's not what I meant (though thanks SiCrane for pointing out the Standard thingy); I was more into the rounding issue, and my example was wrong because it doesn't truncate or round.
The correct example I meant to give is: (-3 / 2) != (-3 >> 1)

In VS2010 I get the following:

int b = 2;
00BCF613  mov         dword ptr [b],2  
		int c = b * 2;
00BCF61A  mov         edx,dword ptr [b]  
00BCF61D  shl         edx,1  
00BCF61F  mov         dword ptr [c],edx  
		int d = b + b;
00BCF622  mov         eax,dword ptr [b]  
00BCF625  add         eax,dword ptr [b]  
00BCF628  mov         dword ptr [d],eax  

Is that faster or not? Depends on how your CPU implements the shl and add instrcutions, but in either case it's just 3 instructions (using a debug build, though).

The one thing I can guarantee is that unless you're doing this in a deep inner loop and at least millions of times, you are not going to notice one bit of difference in terms of overall performance. This is just so much not worth worrying about.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement