Sign in to follow this  

ImmediateContext.MapSubresource out of memory error

This topic is 1601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am writing to a 3D texture with the format SlimDX.DXGI.Format.R16_UNorm, and using the following call:

DataBox b = _device.ImmediateContext.MapSubresource(_volumeTexture, 0, 0, MapMode.WriteDiscard, MapFlags.None);

For a texture that is 512x512x512, I get an E_OUTOFMEMORY error.  512 * 512 * 512 * 2 = 268?435?456 bytes.

The only other graphics objects that have been created are two small buffers for vertex lists, and a 2D texture that is 512x512.

My graphics card is the AMD FirePro V5900 (FireGL V), which should have at least 2GB of available video memory, and my system has 4GB of RAM. In short, I don't see how it is possible to be out of memory in this case.

How shall I go about debugging this problem? Any common errors I should be looking for?

Dynamic textures get special treatment in drivers. Typically the driver will managed a small-ish, fixed pool of memory from which it will temporarily allocate whenever you map a resource with DISCARD. I'm not surprised that it can't handle such a large 3D texture, since having CPU provide that much data for the is a pretty bad idea in terms of performance. What you can do instead is create your texture in with DEFAULT usage, and then create another buffer with STAGING usage. Then when you want to update the texture you map the staging texture, fill it with data, unmap it, and copy the data to the actual texture. With this method you can also efficiently update only a portion of your texture instead of having to fill the entire resource.

This topic is 1601 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.