Sign in to follow this  

DirectX 11 APIs?

This topic is 1597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey I just got this book for DirectX 11 Game programming(Beginner Book), and I was wondering will DirectX 11 API's would support crappy computers like mine? Now I technically have DirectX 11 as a part of my specs but I have a celeron processor, so should I use DirectX 11, 10, or 9 API's?

since Direcr3D 10.1 yo can target lower shader model GPUs through feature levels.

you can read more about here: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2012/06/20/direct3d-feature-levels.aspx and here http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff476872(v=vs.85).aspx

so for basic application you can still use a SM 2.0 GPU if it has WDDM driver.

Edited by Alessio1989

Actually, even if you have no GPU you can still run D3D programs with the developer tools installed by running on what they call the "reference device".  This is essentially a software implementation of the API and is used as the golden standard for comparing driver implementations.  So you can run with a crappy / unsupported GPU and still produce rendered frames without an issue.

The tradeoff is that the runtime performance is terrible, and will run very slowly.  The more complex stuff you do, the slower it will get too...  So just keep that in mind if you are willing to try it out.  The Hieroglyph 3 samples all default to the reference device if your GPU doesn't meet the desired feature level, so you could try running the samples and see if it would be acceptable for you or not.

This topic is 1597 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.