Please help me get started

Started by
15 comments, last by GDR 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi, I'm hoping some of the experts on this site can help me get started by providing me some information and perhaps some detailed guidance.

I need to create a simple (or so I thought) graphics application to move a circle on the screen, and have it bounce off the sides of the screen.

Previously I had done this with VB6 and Directx7. There were ample examples on line to carry this out.

Fast forward to 2013 and I'm finding it hard to do this.

To start off with I'd like to do this via C# using Visual Studio (2010 express).

It also needs to run on Windows XP - Windows 8, but also be designed to run on the next releases of the Windows OSs.

The movement of the circle (ball) needs to be very smooth. I also need to increase the speed of the ball as well from 1x to 3x.

I was hoping I could pull off a simple thing such as this within a Windows Presentation Foundation application, but I found (via various trials using different techniques) that I could not pull off a smooth animation on various systems. For instance I was not able to get the ball moving at a constant frame rate. As well, with CPU spikes this would lead to some choppiness. This would have been ideal because I would not have to directly use DirectX and ideally this would be portable to all windows operating systems.

I then started to look at using C# with DirectX. I read up on XNA but it seems like support for this is ending in the near future. As well, it uses directx9. As well, XP only supports up to directx9c, so now I am looking at questions such as, do I work with directx9c for programming this for all Windows operating systems, or do I look at designing a version with directx9 for XP and a version using DirectX11 for the other operating systems. With that in mind I've started to look into SharpDX.

Could you guys please help me with the below questions first:

Question:

is there anyway to get smooth animations with WPF with regards to what I'm trying to do. I just can't seem to get this to a level where it

is satisfactory.

Question:

Should I use XNA, or should I stay away from it. I'm concerned that the work I'd do with it will lead to some troubles in the future.

Question:

If I use DirectX, because directx9c is the latest version to work with XP, is it safe to use directx9 and have this run on other windows OSs and various graphics cards, or do I need to also write the program using directx 11 as well. Although I believe direct9 would get me running fine now, I'm wondering what will happen in the years to come.

Question:

Do you have experience with SharpDX and is this the way to go if I want to use DirectX with C#.

Question:

Will DirectX 9 continue to be actively supported by graphics cards in the next 3-5 years.

Can I please get your help.

Thanks.

Advertisement

I would recommend that you look into Directx11 or Opengl 4.0, since those are becomming popular.

View my game dev blog here!

Hi Solid spy, did you get a chance to look over some of my questions? How does your comment relate to them?

For instance how do I design this for XP if I use DirectX 11?

I'm looking for someone to really help me out here with guidance.

Hi Solid spy, did you get a chance to look over some of my questions? How does your comment relate to them?

For instance how do I design this for XP if I use DirectX 11?

I'm looking for someone to really help me out here with guidance.

Directx 11 doesn't work on Windows XP, however not a lot of people will have XP's in the future. I would stay away from xna since it's very outdated, it works, but the knowledge won't help you much.

As for wpf? I would avoid it if you want to make multiplatform games since there seems to be no multi-platform support, i would use windows forms.

View my game dev blog here!

DX9 and XNA will most likely continue to work for a very long time, Microsoft is fairly good at keeping things backwards compatible so you shouldn't be that worried about their lack of official support (it basically just means that Microsoft won't release any more updates for them to fix bugs or add features).

Personally i would recommend going with OpenGL though since that lets you use whatever features your GPU supports regardless of what OS you're using. nvidia has OpenGL 4.4 (roughly equivalent to D3D11.2) drivers for Windows XP.

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Hi, regarding DX9 and XNA, what about the graphics cards supporting directx9?

What about them ? , If the graphics card supports DX9 then it supports DX9.

Can you do me a favour and answer the questions I posed in my original post. It will help me out. Thanks.

Can you do me a favour and answer the questions I posed in my original post. It will help me out. Thanks.

1) No idea, WPF isn't really intended for games so it might be tricky.

2) You can use XNA as long as you don't need newer GPU features. (XNA is no longer updated but will continue to work for a very long time, it is the only way for a hobbyist to make games for the xbox360, if you're on XP the only alternative if you want to take full advantage of modern hardware is OpenGL)

3) Yes its safe to use DX9, its basically in the same position as XNA, it works on all current hardware and Windows versions and will most likely work on future windows versions and future hardware as well. (Noone in their right mind will break backwards compatibility with thousands of games).

4) SharpDX is fine if you want to use DirectX with .Net (But if you're only going to use DX9 anyway you might as well stick with XNA, its easier to work with)

5) Yes. (DirectX1.0 is still supported by most GPU drivers so it would be quite strange if DX9 suddenly got dropped completely)

Thank you Simon!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement