AI for NPC

Started by
17 comments, last by TulasiramDavuluri 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi Everyone

I am new here, i'm really glad to find a place like this for AI developers all at one place, thanks for admin of this website. To introduce myself, i am a master's student in computer games tech as software engineer. i am very much interested in AI and game play programming of video games, this interest took me to make my master's project in AI for NPC as "Adaptive Behavior of Game Character’s in Computer Games". I want to show practicality and effectiveness of machine learning in video game AI by developing an Adaptive AI system using latest Techniques.

Can you please suggest me Any idea's of making a small game or part of the game that can cover my master's project? how can i start with application ? where to find latest techniques that can be used for this project?

Thank you so much in advance for all the replies...

Advertisement

Are you looking for a way to instantly adapt an NPC to a changing world or a way to train a NPC to some random world.

In the second case you can take a look at artificial neural network or some heuristic that you may use to train an agent. In the first case I have no ideas, sorry.

Currently working on a scene editor for ORX (http://orx-project.org), using kivy (http://kivy.org).

thank for the reply and sorry for being late...

I did like to do the second one. can you refer me any books that can be specific for this kinda of topic...

Learning AI in games is a deep dark hole. It's almost NEVER used (for a variety of reasons) and yet every academic on the planet seems to want to advance its cause. When you understand more about game design and about learning AI, you will realize why.

Also, once you know more about the techniques, the ideas for games to showcase your techniques will be more apparent. It's pointless for us to suggest ideas that may not work with whatever your research ends up being.

tl;dr... you're doing it backwards.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Hi

IADaveMark

Thanks for the reply. I'm beginner in AI, i am focusing on to start my journey for AI.. as you mentioned that i am doing backwards, can you please suggest me how i can go with AI?

cheers

Learn about AI first. Then try to figure out how to improve it.

Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

Can you please refer me some good books for learning AI and after...

cheers

I'd personally like to see someone adapt a chat-bot like Clever Bot for use to allow game NPCs to make random conversation. In this case it would not actually be a learning AI, unlike Clever Bot, although you might have a mechanism by which a player can give particular pieces of in-game knowledge to particular NPCs. But as far as adaptive behaviors go, what we really want to see is NPCs being more or less friendly depending on the player's past actions toward that NPC's faction and individual self.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Poker playing bots have been developed which use learning to adjust their strategy based on the tightness/aggressiveness of their AI or human opponents.

"Most people think, great God will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everybody feel high" - Bob Marley

Can you please refer me some good books for learning AI and after...

cheers

Sticky post at the top of this forum.

Blogs I write:

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement