why no FAQ's in the forums?

Started by
2 comments, last by Norman Barrows 10 years, 8 months ago

just curious, why no FAQ's in the forums?

either regular FAQs or links to articles/topics on gamedev.

i'd think there'd be faq's for stuff like what language, what engine, etc. in "for beginners" (perhaps there is, have't checked).

but i'd also think there'd be FAQs for stuff like frustum plane calculations, ray pick, alpha blend draw order, alpha test sampling artifacts, rendering space scenes, scaling sprites, resolution independent graphics, and other questions that get asked every few months.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

Advertisement

Some forums have them, and others don't. If you visit the "DirectX and XNA" or "OpenGL" forums for example, you'll see a collection of useful links in the "getting started" block to the right of the topic listing. "APIs and Tools" and "Music and Sound" make more extensive use of pinned topics. Some forums, such as "Business and Law" have detailed FAQs on separate pages, which are usually linked to from their "getting started" blocks and/or a pinned topic.

I think we could definitely use a bit more consistency with our FAQs, and some forums could use additional/updated/some information.

- Jason Astle-Adams

the Getting Started box is generally considered a FAQ for us now, as the IPS forum software did not come with any sort of FAQ page for use per forum (the closest thing they had was a "Rules" page - in fact the Business and Law FAQ has re-purposed the Rules page for this).

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

ah, ok, so they're in the getting started sections then. i'll have to take a look. thanks.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement