List of C++11 compliant compilers?

Started by
41 comments, last by l0calh05t 10 years, 8 months ago

I agree: I tried Qt recently.. great IDE, but the Qt GUI API is a total mess-up and I hate it. You can still use it for create non-gui applications biggrin.png

About Mingw, I usually get my MinGW from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingwbuilds/ those are very up to date.

Yes mingwbuilds is very good. Infact the article I linked in the first post explain how to setup mingwbuilds with an IDE. I found mingwbuilds interesting for few extra reasons (despite the fact that those are always up to date, stand alone packages): finally someone provided DLLs for runtimes (so every time you create an executable including "iostream" you don't get extra 600 KB but you just need the DLL, now a simple hello world is few KB instead of ~0.5MB) and a working std::thread (still using Posix wrapper instead of native windows thread but that's ok)

Peace and love, now I understand really what it means! Guardian Angels exist! Thanks!

Advertisement

I agree: I tried Qt recently.. great IDE, but the Qt GUI API is a total mess-up and I hate it. You can still use it for create non-gui applications biggrin.png

That's not what I meant. I meant the IDE's GUI. I haven't tried messing with the GUI API or much of anything related to Qt due to the IDE.

I think it is important to note that MSVC's STL (essentially dinkumware) and clang's libc++ are way more complete than GCC's libstdc++

I think it is important to note that MSVC's STL (essentially dinkumware) and clang's libc++ are way more complete than GCC's libstdc++

What are the differences?

std::regex is missing from my version of libstdc++, as is std::wstring_convert. http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/status.html#status.iso.200x has the full table.

Sadly, stopping at 4.7.1 makes TDM-GCC almost as unmaintained as official MINGW releases. The other suggestion, Stephen T. Lavavej's distribution, remains my first choice.

There is this project MinGW-w64 which seems fairly up to date. If you look at the builds, they have support for GCC 4.8.1, for both x86 and x86_64 platforms.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

std::regex is missing from my version of libstdc++, as is std::wstring_convert. http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/status.html#status.iso.200x has the full table.

That is minor in comparison to what is missing from Visual Studio. I have a feeling that gcc will be far better at implementing the standards than Microsoft.

what exactly do you feel is missing, that you would like to use? While visual studio is missing quite a bit of C++11, it has a decent amount of it implemented, especially the more important bits. The other chunks and pieces that are missing aren't particularly important for most cases, doesn't mean you won't miss them though on the rare occasion.

There is a great deal to C++11, and no current compilers are "standards compliant," although clang makes a decent go at it.

That is minor in comparison to what is missing from Visual Studio. I have a feeling that gcc will be far better at implementing the standards than Microsoft.

I would consider the missing lack of a regular expressions library, part of the new standard library, to be a rather significant chunk of the C++ language to be missing. Especially since regular expressions tend to creep and find their way into so many different places you wouldn't expect them to.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

what exactly do you feel is missing, that you would like to use? While visual studio is missing quite a bit of C++11, it has a decent amount of it implemented, especially the more important bits. The other chunks and pieces that are missing aren't particularly important for most cases, doesn't mean you won't miss them though on the rare occasion.

There is a great deal to C++11, and no current compilers are "standards compliant," although clang makes a decent go at it.

I would consider the missing lack of a regular expressions library, part of the new standard library, to be a rather significant chunk of the C++ language to be missing. Especially since regular expressions tend to creep and find their way into so many different places you wouldn't expect them to.

Yeah, clang really is pulling quite far ahead of gcc now, heck, even if you ignore the C++11/C99/C11 support clangs warnings and error messages alone are a good enough reason to use it over gcc. (allthough gcc is catching up in that area aswell now)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Summary of C++11 Feature Availability: http://www.aristeia.com/C++11/C++11FeatureAvailability.htm

// Note that it links to sources which are more up-to-date, e.g., http://wiki.apache.org/stdcxx/C++0xCompilerSupport (and GCC-specific & Clang-specific websites)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement