Best option to use in a Tibia like game

Started by
4 comments, last by zylski 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I have a programming experience of 2 years +, most of the time in C#, but this experience wasn't in games, a few months ago I decided to begin a game project that I always dreamt of. I decided to program it in C# as I have a good experience and knowledge on the language, and C++ seemed to be a veeeeeeery long learning time.

It's not a copy of Tibia, I'm just using it as an example because I like the 45 degree view and the client structure.

I've been learning XNA, and tryin to do the game with that, but I still have many doubts about it, as I saw many topics saying that XNA is not the better option.

I'd like the opinion of you, of what would be the best choice to make a game like this. And if you think that another option would be better and have some suggestions (books, etc.) or some open source games that may help me, they're welcome !

I saw that OpenTK is nice, but it's not easy as XNA, and dont have many tutorials (at least I didnt find) as XNA does.

Thanks,

Daniel!

Advertisement

Why isn't XNA a good option? Explain.

Your Probally getting confused with all the dooms-day prophets saying "HEAR YEE HEAR YEE, XNA IS DEAD"

-XNA isn't 'Dead', MS have simply said

"We are not going to update this awesome framework which currently has no outstanding bugs which could hamper the development process, and doesnt need any new features"

- XNA Is Fantastic for the hobbyist developer because it is simple, there are ample tutorials and documentation around the internet and it hides all the backend stuff nicely and at the same time allows you to access HLSL (for 3D) and has very few (if any) disadvantages of using it over C++

All in all, your project is a hobby, it probably wont turn into the next Minecraft and millions of people wont pay $10 for it, your probably not going to have a team of 100+ people. So your choice of environment is purely yours, and XNA is perfect.

If you are worried about XNA not getting updated, take a look at Monogame which is a cross platform implementation of XNA.

Why isn't XNA a good option? Explain.

Your Probally getting confused with all the dooms-day prophets saying "HEAR YEE HEAR YEE, XNA IS DEAD"

-XNA isn't 'Dead', MS have simply said

"We are not going to update this awesome framework which currently has no outstanding bugs which could hamper the development process, and doesnt need any new features"

- XNA Is Fantastic for the hobbyist developer because it is simple, there are ample tutorials and documentation around the internet and it hides all the backend stuff nicely and at the same time allows you to access HLSL (for 3D) and has very few (if any) disadvantages of using it over C++

All in all, your project is a hobby, it probably wont turn into the next Minecraft and millions of people wont pay $10 for it, your probably not going to have a team of 100+ people. So your choice of environment is purely yours, and XNA is perfect.

If you are worried about XNA not getting updated, take a look at Monogame which is a cross platform implementation of XNA.

That's what I wanted to read, actually I was worried because of this people telling to dont'use XNA and etc.

About being a hobby, it actually is a little, but I also want to release it and have some "success".

I know this kind of game nowadays won't have the same success that Tibia had. But I hope to have at least the amount of player that Zezenia have, would be a good start !

Thank you.

Personally i like xna for game development because it handles hardware decoding for you (Love it!) if you already know c# then there is really no learning curve some may say directX is better which indirectly i guess the would be right but for what you want to achive (tibia) directX would be way overkill i would just find a map editor with an engine or interpreter (Might want to look at my Celestial Map Editor Thread) and XNA should easily suffice your needs!

Plus XNA is the language indie devs use for xbox indie games so it cant be that bad :p

Yea, I chose it because I already have knowledge in C#, so the server part isn't a big problem for me. But I had never worked with graphics before, so the map part is being a little trouble also !

feel free to pm me for my skype i have a full map editor and id be glad to share my knowledge of map making and graphic placement...I am in the process of a online MMORPG for android and mostly done and i know just as much xna so id be glad to help you just shoot me a pm

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement