Sign in to follow this  
Aluthreney

Understanting Gravitational Force

Aluthreney    275

I'm trying to figure out how to properly calculate the gravitational force between two celestial objects:

Example

Mass01 = 5.97e24 (kg)

Mass02 = 1.99e30 (kg)

Distance = 1.50e11 (m)

Gconst = 6.67e-11

So the formula for calculating gravitational force is: F=G(M*m/d^2)

This is how I calculated:

Note: Red represents the calculation I did on that step.

F=6.67e-11(5.97e24*1.99e30/1.50e11)

(=) F=6.67e-11(11.88e54/1.50e11)

(=) F=6.67e-11(7.92e43)

(=) F=5.283e33 (rounded)

Did I calculate this improperly or am I being paranoid?

JohnnyCode    1046

out of operators priority, it should be F=G((M*m)/d^2)

Newton theory is good for a capiptal absolute moment in universe, and fits well linear space, but count time in, and you will need super small timestep to update linear vectors as often as possible (still a theory, some believe in a linear time quantum). Einstein theory fits time better, yet newton is sufficient usualy with resolution of 0.1 second! But forget simulating two base balls of sun mass one meter from eachother. You cannot express such a small number to step in time to have them not on oposite side of universe, they will accelerate towards eachother toooooooo much, like speed of light * speed of light. Funny

Bacterius    13165

The brackets are redundant here. By operator precedence F = G * M * m / d^2 is perfectly correct.

Aluthreney    275

Newton theory is good for a capiptal absolute moment in universe, and fits well linear space, but count time in, and you will need super small timestep to update linear vectors as often as possible (still a theory, some believe in a linear time quantum). Einstein theory fits time better, yet newton is sufficient usualy with resolution of 0.1 second! But forget simulating two base balls of sun mass one meter from eachother. You cannot express such a small number to step in time to have them not on oposite side of universe, they will accelerate towards eachother toooooooo much, like speed of light * speed of light. Funny

Since my plan is to produce a simulation, could you give me some pointers as to where I should look for further information on what you just explained.

P.S. I'm usually not a nitpicker, but, for future reference, try to be more careful with the way you structure your sentences because I had a hard time understanding what you were trying to say. Having said that, I don't know if english is your first language and I apologize if I offend you with this; it is not my intention.

Edited by Aluthreney