Sign in to follow this  
davepl1968

Using FX files without -shipping- my FX shader files

davepl1968    166

In the past, for D3D9, I would have fxc generate the header-file version of the shader and then #include that into my code.  This meant the user never received a copy of the raw HLSL code, which is how I'd like to keep it.

In those days, however, I kept my Vertex and Pixel shaders in different files, so each got its own identifier in the header file.  Now with the whole block of technique/pass/etc and both types of shaders in the same FX file, I don't know how to do it.

With only a single variable name in the .h file (which in my case is Particle_HLSL), how do I

gDevice->CreateVertexShader()

gDevice->CreatePixelShader()

It's all working just fine with D3DXCreateEffectFromFile on the fx file, but as noted that means I have to ship the fx file.  That's all I'm trying to really avoid, so any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

Steve_Segreto    2080

Well nothing stops you from including them in the PE image as a binary resource, and then use the rc apis to get the fx file (or better the compiled bytecode for the shader, but then u have to roll ur own parts for some of the fx framework).

http://blog.kowalczyk.info/article/zy/Embedding-binary-resources-on-Windows.html

Edited by Steve_Segreto

davepl1968    166

My solution was to compile them to .cso and then do this:

V_RETURN( D3DXCreateEffectFromFile(pd3dDevice, strPath.c_str(), 0, 0, D3DXSHADER_DEBUG, 0, &_ptrEffect, &pBuffer) );
V_RETURN( pd3dDevice->CreateVertexDeclaration(particleVertexDeclarations, &_ptrVertexDeclaration) );

// Get the technique, pass, and shaders we need

D3DXHANDLE hTechnique = _ptrEffect->GetTechniqueByName("ExplosionTechnique");
if (!hTechnique)
return E_FAIL;

D3DXHANDLE hPass = _ptrEffect->GetPassByName(hTechnique, "Pass0");
if (!hPass)
return E_FAIL;

// Get the vertex and pixel shaders 

D3DXPASS_DESC desc;
V_RETURN( _ptrEffect->GetPassDesc(hPass, &desc) );
V_RETURN( pd3dDevice->CreateVertexShader(desc.pVertexShaderFunction, &_ptrVertexShader) );
V_RETURN( pd3dDevice->CreatePixelShader (desc.pPixelShaderFunction,  &_ptrPixelShader) );