Voxel lighting (enhancing)

Started by
2 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 10 years, 8 months ago

Hello everyone

I am currently toying around with voxels and as usual lighting makes things a lot nicer. After googling a lot i found ambient occlusion and the screenshots showed quite nice results.

Ive implemented it so far on a per-vertex base (baked into the mesh) and im not unhappy with the result:

3RQFQ.jpg

Though as you can see as there are some issues as its per vertex with interpolation.

So i wondered what other lighting-related enhancements would you suggest? Or what are common algorithms?

Thanks in advance and a nice day

Plerion

Advertisement

Is it possible for you to increase the resolution of your mesh? Per-vertex effects can typically look quite good if the tessellation is at a decent level. For example, if you doubled the number of vertices, the interpolation errors would be much less visible (although not gone). If you have the budget for it, that could provide a nice increase in fidelity.

It's best to bake it in the mesh just like you did, just work with the interpolation value, and make sure to cover all the special cases

All other methods are hacks, that may or may not work correctly in anything but a demo

So, if you are shooting for demo, you can certainly try out all the various methods, but the whole point of a voxel world is fully modifiable 3d landscape smile.png

and that brings with it some interesting problems, and if you have total control over what goes where, that is only a good thing, in my opinion

I could elaborate greatly on this, but i can mention a few things: shadows in the atmosphere are slightly blue, while they are black further down, for example. Now imagine a great hole, the shadows need to go blacker..

good luck!

Why not use voxel based Global illumination?

You already have the voxel data, by sub dividing each cubes Data you can draw the light onto each cube and manage the level of detail.

If you don't want to draw light data onto a object you can use the same method as supersampling to decide how bright a cube is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement