Developed a fresh game mechanics - now what?

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi,

over the past year or so, I worked on a game mechanics which I thought is quite fresh. I fleshed it out and made some puzzles for a game which which adds up to perhaps 10min of gameplay, illustrating the main ideas. I kept a couple of friends up to date with it and they consider it very promising, are genuinely interested and keep urging me for updates. However, since I am doing this as a hobby next to my job, I feel that I need some more feedback than from a handful of friends. What is more, I would be glad to find a like-minded collaborator. But in my University environment, even though there are many smart people and good coders, I find it hard to find game enthusiast programmers or 2D / 3D artists inclined in games. I wanted to ask your advice how to proceed.

Unfortunately, I am not at all experienced in the game industry. My environment is very rich but I do not seem to meet the right people. There is another University in my city offering a Bachelor programme in game design but this is something I discovered only recently and I do not know anybody there. In my city there are a few game companies I know of, but again, I do not know people personally, and the Campus is too far away to just show up there without a plan.

I much prefer showing and discussing my idea face to face rather than posting it online. I am sure that eventually I will run into the right people but I was hoping to accelerate the process.

How should I proceed? Should I email the game companies, giving them a playable demo and asking to meet to speak personally and get some advice, some opinion, perhaps find a collaborator? Should I try the same with the academic staff organising the game design Bachelor programme? What would you do in my place?

Advertisement

Where do you live?

You could find out if there's a local IGDA chapter and see about joining and attending some meet-ups. Some chapters are quite active and meet up regularly, whilst others don't have much activity. Either way it's something you could check out.

You might also consider attending industry conferences to meet plenty of other developers as well as attending any talks or presentations that interest you.

I assume your university doesn't have any gaming or development clubs or societies?

- Jason Astle-Adams

No offense, but my experience on the internet (where I learned everything) has taught me that ALL ideas are 2c shit piles until they are actually made into a working product.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

1. I am sure that eventually I will run into the right people but I was hoping to accelerate the process.

2. How should I proceed?

3. Should I email the game companies,

3-1/2. giving them a playable demo and asking to meet to speak personally and get some advice, some opinion, perhaps find a collaborator?

4. Should I try the same with the academic staff organising the game design Bachelor programme?

5. What would you do in my place?

1. Why? I mean, accelerate what process, and towards what end?

2. That depends on what you want to accomplish. Do you want to start a game company, or do you want to sell your game to a publisher, or do you want to build a portfolio so you can get a job in the game industry, or what?

3. Which game companies? You mean publishers?

3-1/2. Few companies are likely to take the time to review your game for the purpose of giving you advice. And it's unlikely you'll find "collaborators" that way, either.

4. To get advice while you are not a student there? Doesn't sound promising.

5. I would decide what it is I want to accomplish first. And I would probably make more than one game concept (build a portfolio and seek a job in the industry, gain some experience and lots of knowledge and contacts).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement