Need advice on Adobe Air / Flash

Started by
1 comment, last by Lobotomist 10 years, 8 months ago

Hi everyone.

I am a graphic designer with lots of experience in Flash and intermediate knowledge of AS3.

I am not using AS3 as programming language in my work but mostly to create highly interactive interface prototypes and presentations.

This is done combining animations on stage and script events.

My dream is to start making interactive books and comics in this way (with lot of user triggered dynamic animations) for mobile (tablets)

I recently learned that Adobe Air can be used to publish to iOs and Android.

But some things are still unclear to me.

1.How complicated is the publish process ? Can I just put my swf file and have it published or do I need lot of coding and tweaking ?

2. Main reason I want to use flash is vector animation that can fit any size device. But I hear Adobe Air does not export vector animations?

Is this true ?

Advertisement

I can only answer for IOS, as i have no android experience.

1.How complicated is the publish process ? Can I just put my swf file and have it published or do I need lot of coding and tweaking ?

In theory, it is very simple. Just fill a simple properties form and press the publish button and you get your IPA to upload to the appstore. (http://www.adobe.com/inspire/2012/12/ios-apps-flash-cs6.html)

In practice, you may need some tweaking (not code, but graphics). For example:

* A movieclip i had slightly rotated (5 degrees) showed some noise in its texture.

* Or a dragging object moved anoyingly slow when going through another complex object.

* Or things that were scaled down showed very pixelated (despite being vector).

* And you may exprience FPS dropdowns on small devices if you have too many objects/too complex objects.

So, yeah. It is fairly simple, but expect some tweaking if you want a polished product.

2. Main reason I want to use flash is vector animation that can fit any size device. But I hear Adobe Air does not export vector animations?

Is this true ?

I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "vector animation". In our project everything was vector and animated with tweens. We used reshaping objects, masking and all classic stuff. All was exported with no significant problems.

Cheers.

Thanks for the answer , very helpful.

Can you tell me when was this ? I mean was it the latest version of Air ?

All in all i found these concerning:

In practice, you may need some tweaking (not code, but graphics). For example:

* A movieclip i had slightly rotated (5 degrees) showed some noise in its texture.

* Or a dragging object moved anoyingly slow when going through another complex object.

* Or things that were scaled down showed very pixelated (despite being vector).

* And you may exprience FPS dropdowns on small devices if you have too many objects/too complex objects.

Sounds like the Air transforms vectors into bitmaps, this is what it has problems with rotated or resized movie clips.

Or at least I speculate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement