• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dmatter

Relying on #includes from headers

This topic is 1923 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Generally speaking it is important in C++ to ensure that all files are self-sufficient and idempotent with respect to their #includes. They should explicitly include what they need and not rely on other files having done so already.

There is however a case (and possible exception) to be made for when you have pairs of header and source files, such as foo.h and foo.cpp. Usually these headers define a class called 'Foo' and the source file is always going to include the header because it provides the definition while the header provides the declaration.

My question is, if the header #includes something (say <string>), should the source file have to re-include it too?

The two major opinions around the office are:

1) Yes - because ALL files should include everything they need, no exceptions.

2) No - because the two files are really two halves of one thing, if there is an include in the header we needn't repeat that in the source.

I am a bit of a hypocrite on the subject, I quite like opinion #2 but have generally only practiced #1.

What do you think?

Certainly it would be interesting to know if there was a genuinely convincing reason to go one way or the other?

Advertisement

If i have some method that is using some object (like string), and if it is not "visible" in class declaration (header) i include it only in cpp,  otherwise i include it in header.

Sometimes when my cpp is too big, i partition it in multiple cpp file, so i can follow it easily.

My own convention is to #include in the header if and only if the header requires it (e.g. the header needs stdlib.h for a size_t parameter) and in the source file otherwise, but never in both.

I mean that too if it is not clear what i have written in my previous post.

I try to avoid includes as much as possible in the headers, but I don't duplicate includes in the source file either. If it's included in the matching header, good enough.

As a style, always program to an interface.  

The header files for those interfaces absolutely should not include headers like <string>.  An interface does not require it.

I try as much as possible to avoid #include's in the header file, not only as a stylistic choice but also as a practical one to cut down on build times and prevent a header file change from causing half the solution to be rebuilt. However if something absolutely must be included in my header, for matching file pairs I won't re-include the header's dependencies in the source file. For everything else, I always include whatever the source file depends on regardless of what other headers are included, and what their included files are. That way if code is refactored in the future you don't have new compile errors pop up out of nowhere.

Around the office we've been using unity builds for awhile now, and that's when you need to be especially vigilant. I often run across code that doesn't compile on its own because it depends on the unity build to merge source files together in some non-deterministic way, which changes whenever files are added or removed from the project. Personally I always do a Ctrl-F7 just to make sure I've included all required headers, even if it's not strictly required for a build to be successful.

I'd say that I'm in the "avoid #includes in headers whenever possible in favour of forward declarations" camp. In fact, I try to avoid #includes in source files, too. If however some aspect of your interface requires something defined in another header to be included just to parse the declaration, then I'd put the requisite #include in the header declaring the interface. That way, you can be sure that if you're #including the interface, your source file is including everything it needs to use your interface.

As a style, always program to an interface.  

The header files for those interfaces absolutely should not include headers like <string>.  An interface does not require it.

Sorry, I'm slightly confused here.

What if the interface takes a string as a parameter? Do you forward declare string? Can you even do that, given that string is a typedef for 

basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >

at least on msvc.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!