Do Denmark discriminate foreigners?

Started by
36 comments, last by Dwarf King 10 years, 8 months ago

I took an SAS (Scandanavian Airlines) flight from London to Copenhagen last year. As the passengers were settling in and the cabin checks were underway, the steward came on the intercom and announced that because it was an international flight, service would be in both languages, English and Scandanavian. Further proof that Swedish and Danish are the same.

Many Swedes don't understand Danish, so the Danes usually have to speak English. Danes tend to understand Swedish though. So maybe that's what "Scandinavian" was referring to.

Advertisement

I took an SAS (Scandanavian Airlines) flight from London to Copenhagen last year. As the passengers were settling in and the cabin checks were underway, the steward came on the intercom and announced that because it was an international flight, service would be in both languages, English and Scandanavian. Further proof that Swedish and Danish are the same.

Many Swedes don't understand Danish, so the Danes usually have to speak English. Danes tend to understand Swedish though. So maybe that's what "Scandinavian" was referring to.

It is mandatory for Danish high schools to read some Swedish and Norwegian texts and talk about the difference between the Scandinavian languages. Also "not understand" does not mean not able to read as the writing is very similar with small difference here and there.

I mostly see people from Northern Sweden having issues with understanding Danish or Southern Swedish while people from Southern Sweden would have an easier time when speaking slowly. Also after an hour or so we have adopted some of each others differences and start speaking a hybrid of the "two languages". It helps drink a beer or two(folköl). Lol smile.png

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Or another way of saying it, they only know how to tighten the laws until we all suffocate.. or at least it feels like this..

Well I sure ain't waiting for that to happen. EU is big and so is the world so to say :)

Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein

I guess all I can say to this is "first world problems". If this is what you have to be upset about, congratulations. You have a blessed life!

I can just say, get live with it. The bureaucracy is a hell, and believe me I live in one of the most bureaucratic countries in whole world. In reality, in my country you can't even build anything (not even car park) on your own land without giving bureaucrats information about what are you building. Hell you can't even buy any stuff for you company, without registering it in tax return and giving that to bureaucrats. And the funny thing in our country is, we got a law, then notice modifying the law and most probably also notice modifying the notice - although the bureaucrats doesn't even know laws and notices, a little example.

I moved in my country and wanted to change my "permanent residence" - so I had to get a new ID card. The problem is, I couldn't (according to girl at the bureaucracy building) ask for new ID card on the bureau in the town I live now (e.g. where I have the permanent residence), but I have to travel to my old permanent residence and ask for a new ID card there.

Fine, so I drove 200km just to get my new ID card, and guess what happened - according to notice modifying the law, they weren't allowed to give me new ID card, as I have to contact bureau at my new permanent residence place, they contact bureau at my old permanent residence place and ask them for new data. Then I have to wait 6 weeks for them to "create" my new ID card and then for no known reason I have to pick it up at my OLD permanent residence place. Wow Sherlock. (Yeah, half year later I even realized I don't have to pick it up and in next 4 weeks they will mail me new ID card)

But as time goes, I'm kinda used to this - and except for this, worthless politics and hot weather, I love living in my country - I still wouldn't change it biggrin.png (We're not a totalistic system or so, this level of bureaucracy is here since Maria Theresa. biggrin.png)

Although I'd like to notice, that bureaucracy like this isn't always really bad. You can get a lot of important information from the bureaus here (like flood maps, etc.) - which is considered advantage. Especially if you're planning to move. Although buying a car is really a bit of hell (getting car ID or such can take few weeks and hours in bureaus, good thing is, you can drive with temporary ID until you get permanent one).

tl;dr Just get used to this like mistakes, bureaucracy and generally government idiocy - it won't end. And more importantly, rather enjoy life and ignore the politics, bureaucrats, etc. - they're just true evil.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Just get used to this like mistakes, bureaucracy and generally government idiocy - it won't end. And more importantly, rather enjoy life and ignore the politics, bureaucrats, etc.

I guess you are right. I keep telling myself this. Still a letter like that can really spoil a good morning and make one explode in an inferno of particles with datablocks I guess...

200km you said? I would be rather pissed about that...

Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein

Slight derail, Danish politics is quite boring (still considered the least corrupt in the world though), British politics is where it's entertaining, im yet to come across another country with such an entertaining government. I am not talking about the media rage either, all the events and actions that will affect you are 100% live and public (which makes you wonder the purpose of the media in regards to politics), a lot of countries already do this but none are popcorn worthy as the House of Commons.

Saying that Denmark usually scores first or second with New Zealand on the CPI, so chances are if you really are pissed and want to make a difference, make some noise and start lobbying. It is easy to think the system is broken etc, but once you get deeply into it you will find politics and law making are a lot more complex and involved than simply smacktalking and dinners with the rich at the Dorchester

Yeah, I definitely agree that I wouldn't be calm either - I'd just complain about idiotic government and bureaucracy for a day at least. But after some time, it is just better to laugh at it (in a manner "what idiotic laws we (people) have created").

I was quite pissed off that I had to drive across half of my country two times (and when I realized I didn't have to drive at all ... rather no words) - but from today perspective I take it just as a funny joke, that some of our laws and notices are just way too dumb.

In my opinion it is better to take it from funny perspective, than stress about it.

Edit: To Dynamo_Maestro: When it comes to our politics, the fun begins. One of our parties once bought Casa planes for 182 967 127 USD, under very strange conditions and the planes were somehow "stealth" (there were actually no planes at all - well, maybe some politics bought new planes biggrin.png). The same party also builds tunnel (1.4km, 550 meters mint), that actually wasn't ever half completed and work is stopped (they need *more* money), but it cost 1 841 436 000 USD (several times more expensive, than equivalent FINISHED tunnel). Etc. etc. - I bet you all have the same cases in your country. And surprise, you actually can't do anything about it (plus according to our law, the highest court decided that as long as it is discussed in parliament, it is *legal* (because of politics immunity) - I could just laugh after that).

All in all, I guess we should all start being politics in my country, what do you think? biggrin.png

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Coming from Sweden where they don't enforce this policy to the same extent (though it does exist) I think it's a good thing. Not being able to talk the same language as the local populace segregates the population and creates problems where there shouldn't be any.

But one can't say this in public here, or you'll get called a patriot (which isn't a good thing in Sweden) or nazi.

got it because his mother is a Swedish citizen. Now I have lived for 7 years in Sweden and no gov sent us such a letter regarding our daughter as they see Danish and Swedish like almost the same language. It is actually.

Hehe. I thought you were French, how would you know if Swedish and Danish are the same? (They're not)

I live in Östergötland which is in the middle-southern parts of Sweden and most people here can't understand Danish very well though it seems the Danes in Copenhagen speak a more similiar language than the ones from southern Denmark. I understand a few words myself but I can't understand full sentences.

I bet you all have the same cases in your country. And surprise, you actually can't do anything about it (plus according to our law, the highest court decided that as long as it is discussed in parliament, it is *legal* (because of politics immunity) - I could just laugh after that).

In the United States, when the president does it, that means it's not illegal. wink.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement