• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Acem

Please Delete

This topic is 1751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, this is Drew from Acem Gaming here to bring you a video series on Unity C# Game Programming.  This series is designed to help anyone including people with zero programming experience.  The first few episodes are the basics, and as the series progresses you will learn more advanced topics.  If you ever have any questions feel free to ask.

(edit)  If this post is going to be kept (as off topic as it is) I'm going to keep it so that my post isn't locked with people not knowing what post started this entire conflict.  

Here is a Youtube playlist for the entire series : https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7rVTwUzzPyJs6bfjFYRSVzOs_nnWuUqy

Here is each individual video episode :

-Part 1 : Javascript and C# Differences : 

-Part 2 : Variable Types : 

-Part 3 : Operators : 

-Part 4 : IF and ELSE Statements : 

-Part 5 : Loops (While, Do, For) : 

-Part 6: Functions : 

-Part 7 : Arrays : 

-Part 8 : Access Modifiers : 

-Part 9 : Classes and Constructors : 

-Part 10 : Class Inheritance : 

-Part 11 : Static Keyword : 

-Part 12 : Null Keyword : 

-Part 13 : Comments & Regions : 

-Part 14 : Foreach Statements : 

-Part 15 : Switch Statements : 

-Part 16 : Type Conversion : 

-Part 17 : Using Namespaces: 

-Part 18 : Lists : 

-Part 19 : Dictionaries : 

-Part 20 : Enumerations (enum) : 

-Part 21 : MultiDimensional Arrays : 

Edited by Acem

Advertisement

Thanks for sharing. Ill watch the videos when I get some spare time this evening. Maybe the titles are misleading, but is there anything relevant to Unity in these? This all seems to be general C# stuff.

Hey tharealjohn,

I'm glad that you are going to watch the videos!  Yes, these are relevant to Unity because they are using Monodevelop which is the IDE that Unity uses.  The different programming languages that can be used with Unity are Javascript, C#, and Boo.  All of the C# tutorials are relevant to creating games in Unity, and the concepts can carry over in different environments.  I wanted the concepts in this series to be useable by the people wanting to program both small and large games in Unity, so not all C# concepts are useful in developing different types of games.  Hope this helps clear that up.

-Drew

Hey Drew,

I was more asking if you plan to make something related to the C# code used to interact with Unity specific things, like a GameObject. Monodevelop is used for all sorts of things besides Unity. However, probably because its open source, Unity used it so that it could hook its own features into it to make it work smoothly with the Unity Editor. All of the concepts above are related to C#, and do not directly mean anything to creating games in Unity. That is more what I meant. If you have some other set of videos that relate to Unity, I would love to see those too!

Thanks again!

I have a couple of different series on developing games in Unity.  All of the concepts above have their own place in Unity, and as you watch the series you will see that I explain how they are used in programming games.  They do relate to developing games because they allow you to accomplish things (dictionaries make a good inventory system).  Here are the links to the Youtube video series that I have to teach how to create games in Unity. 

-Drew

-Beginner Unity Tutorials : http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list..._ObeNGb3OflUUh
- Teach you the basics of designing video games in Unity as well as some beginner techniques.

-Unity Game Design (Advanced & random concepts) : http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...kc2IlIsyD_YhZ7
-Teach you both random and advanced features in Unity.

I saw that you locked my post because of cross-posting. From what I can tell you are saying that these two posts are being crossposted.

-Unity3d Game Design Tutorials
-Unity3d C# Game Programming Video Tutorials

These two posts are on completely different topics. One is about making games in Unity, and the other is about programming C# in Unity. I don't understand why they were accused of crossposting when they are about different topics. I also saw I received a 'warning point' for this as well.

If you could get back to me, and explain in detail why this is cross-posting that would be great. Also, I don't see how either of these do not fit the beginner forum as these are targeted towards beginner game developers so if you could explain why announcements is an appropriate place that would be good too.

Thanks
-Acem

Be aware I am not a moderator, so any opinion that I express here is personal and not reflective of any official viewpoint.

1) Your current comment "Worst moderators on any forum I have ever joined. It amazes me that anything gets posted on here." is understandable having seemingly hit a wall as you just joined (and indeed I have no issues with free speech) but do you truly think it a justified comment so early in your adventure with us at GameDev.net? I would ask you to go through older locked threads and you will fairly swiftly derive a far more informed opinion upon which to base a comment...which of course might be the same comment as you have now.

2) With regard the cross-posting - yes as you have pointed out they are related to two different sets of videos. Be that as it may, it comes down to perception. You are brand new to the site, little of anything is known about your skills (onsite that is - I am sure your videos will demonstrate your skill set adequately) and what you have posted is interpreted more as being an advertisement (which to be blunt it is) rather than necessarily bringing it into the fold of the site itself. It is not unusual to have threads which are not about seeking help/information end up locked/moved as they do not tend to be in keeping with the primary purpose of the forum threads i.e. I have a problem or I need advice. Indeed if you used an example of one of your video's to solve someone's problem that would have been a most effective means of advertising whilst still keeping in the spirit of how the forums work. A very good example of someone who does this onsite is Tom Sloper who often refers people to his own website for answers to particular questions.

3) Outside of the "Your Announcements" forum where this thread now lies, you have the option of actually starting up a developer's journal. This would be a good place to introduce yourself and your works and as you develop further tutorials a good way to document the processes which go into the making of the tutorials as well providing a localised place in which your tutorials could be found. I have no doubt a number of people onsite as well visitors would be interested not just in the tutorials themselves but also the processes and thinking behind the creation of each one.

4) Finally, unbeknownst to you at this time, a recent initiative has arisen which has just started the all-consuming task of creating a massive dataset of all the conceivable resources that an aspiring/ongoing game developer might need at one point or another in their career. Your tutorials would as such, merit being linked within that dataset under the appropriate category.

Please do not feel that your initial experiences here have been unduly burdensome. When I first joined I had to be spoken to by a moderator about the way I phrased my words (I use a lot of dark humour which is not always interpreted as such). In any new situation there will always be an adjustment period...and as you stay with the site you will find that whilst occasionally a moderator will make an error in judgement - for the most part what they do and how active they are is what keeps everything ticking along smoothly i.e. ensuring people get solutions to problems.

I hope this helps :)

Hey Stormynature,

I want to say firstly, thank you very much for your reply.  It is very professional, and that is what I have been looking for by the moderators in these forums.  I'm not looking to get my way, but I would like a professional answer. Not what I have received from the moderators that have commented.

1.)  You are correct in saying that this is a reflection of my experience so far, and is not fair to all moderators, but definitely the ones that I have experienced so far.  I don't want to be the person that complains, but I feel this is justified.  I'll be changing that status shortly, I just wanted to show my bad experience.

2.)  I would assume that my videos about tutorials put in the beginners forum would be an appropriate place because they are designed to help beginners.  (And yes I do advertise my work because I would like people to see my videos.)  I've actually thought about using them as answers to people who have questions on how to do things as an alternative.  It does not surprise me that Tom Sloper removed my post and insulted me since he has tutorials on his website (not even related to Unity).  It is extremely unprofessional.  Someone that prevents other people from posting and insults them, but then posts their own content is disgusting.

3.)  I've actually been looking at making journals to try, and help people by going in-depth to techniques to go along with the videos.

4.)  I would love if they were linked to that dataset, and help fellow developers!

Again, thank you a lot for your post.  It is a professional answer that I am looking for.  I hope that my experience with this website becomes much better.

Thank you,

-Drew

This topic is 1751 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.